Q. How long will it take for my mother to recover from chikungunya and MG?

Answered by
Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

My mother is 80 years old. She has been having myasthenia gravis for the last 10 years and it has been under good control. She took only Distinon tablet three times a day till last month. One month ago, she had a viral fever. She was admitted in hospital for 10 days and the doctors treated her for precrisis MG and chikungunya. She was discharged after treatment. Since last three weeks, she has been in bed with continuing physiotherapy, but the recovery is taking time. At the time of discharge, she was advised with the following medicines, which we have continued till date. Distinon increased to four times a day, Azoran once daily and Tilstigmin (Neostigmine) thrice daily. Do we need to continue with the medicine? Or should we reduce the dosage? Till when she needs to continue it? Would she come back to her old dosage soon? Lastly, how much is the recovery time for a chikungunya along with MG in an old patient?



Welcome to

  • I agree that the dosages have been increased quite a bit. But, the myasthenia precrisis is treated this way only.
  • If it was an overdose, she would have experienced the symptoms at the time of starting the doses itself.
  • The side effect if present will be quite significant such as smaller pupils, impairment of far sight, hypotension, bradycardia, excessive salivation, frequency of stools, etc. If she has these symptoms, then we should consider reducing the dose. Otherwise, we should continue the same.
  • The Azoran (Azathioprine) is an immunosuppressive drug, which tries to control the basic pathology of myasthenia. It is an autoimmune response.
  • Regarding recovery, at this age and with these comorbids, she will take time to improve. But, make sure that she receives good and frequent physiotherapy. Honestly, it is unrealistic to predict the exact time frame.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I would like to know about Cromotop inhaler. Please explain.

.. is suffering from seasonal allergies, and he needs to take inhaler. You can take Budecort without worry for a short term. One thing you always remember that after taking each puff make sure your son rinse his mouth properly to avoid fungal infect...   Read full

I accidentally took 20 mg of Inderal instead of 10 mg. Am I in danger?

Hello doctor, Maybe I have a toxiphobia after getting a lot of work stress. Please explain to me whether it is SF (scientific fiction) or there are such kinds of toxicants? I sometimes imagine that while I touch some solid materials if it is a fatal...   Read full

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?

Hi doctor, My baby is 3 weeks old. He is on both breastfeeding and formula preparation. What type of multivitamin can be recommended for him? Kindly suggest a few and enlighten what all are necessary for growth....   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.