Q. How long will it take for my mother to recover from chikungunya and MG?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 80 years old. She has been having myasthenia gravis for the last 10 years and it has been under good control. She took only Distinon tablet three times a day till last month. One month ago, she had a viral fever. She was admitted in hospital for 10 days and the doctors treated her for precrisis MG and chikungunya. She was discharged after treatment. Since last three weeks, she has been in bed with continuing physiotherapy, but the recovery is taking time. At the time of discharge, she was advised with the following medicines, which we have continued till date. Distinon increased to four times a day, Azoran once daily and Tilstigmin (Neostigmine) thrice daily. Do we need to continue with the medicine? Or should we reduce the dosage? Till when she needs to continue it? Would she come back to her old dosage soon? Lastly, how much is the recovery time for a chikungunya along with MG in an old patient?

#

• I agree that the dosages have been increased quite a bit. But, the myasthenia precrisis is treated this way only.
  • If it was an overdose, she would have experienced the symptoms at the time of starting the doses itself.
  • The side effect if present will be quite significant such as smaller pupils, impairment of far sight, hypotension, bradycardia, excessive salivation, frequency of stools, etc. If she has these symptoms, then we should consider reducing the dose. Otherwise, we should continue the same.
  • The Azoran (Azathioprine) is an immunosuppressive drug, which tries to control the basic pathology of myasthenia. It is an autoimmune response.
  • Regarding recovery, at this age and with these comorbids, she will take time to improve. But, make sure that she receives good and frequent physiotherapy. Honestly, it is unrealistic to predict the exact time frame.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|