Q. Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis. Will it cause any side effect?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Myasthenia Gravis or Low Immunity? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis.  Will it cause any side effect?

My brother is a myasthenia gravis patient. He had undergone thymectomy four years back. Since then he is continuously taking Azoran 50, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Surgeons are not able to suggest him for reducing the amount of drugs. Available neurologists also do not have any experience with this rare disease. Please, suggest whether he can stop taking these medicines for rest of his life. If not, can it be reduced to one or two a day? Currently, he is taking three tablets a day. Occasionally, he reduced drugs because of some reason, and did not feel any physiological changes in his body. If he takes this drug for his whole life then will it cause any side effect? Moreover, any suggestion related to lifestyle or food is welcome. Thank you.