Q. What is the reason for my nephew's back stiffness and difficulty in walking?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I want an opinion for my 24 year old nephew. For the past four months, he has been suffering from the following problems. He has numbness in both his lower limbs for the past three months and he has total blackout for a few seconds. He has been suffering from constipation for the past three months, poor control of urine for last seven days and urine retention followed by urgency for two months. He also has back stiffness and difficulty in walking for the past 25 days. There are some vibrations like paresthesia in his body in the backside of hip, abdomen and legs. Five years ago, he suffered from hemorrhage in both of his eyes. His ACE level was high and the doctor suspected it as sarcoidosis. But, the level is normal now and all the autoimmune tests are negative. A month back, we had consulted with one of the popular hospital and the doctor suggested steroid 60 mg for six months. Here are the reports for your reference. Please suggest some advice.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

• From your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the symptoms, it is suggestive of the myelitis (inflammation of the spinal cord). Hence, he has been treated with initial IV steroids and then oral.
  • After taking these medications, either his symptom progression should stop or there must be some improvement.
  • If he has developed some new symptoms, then it can be the subsequent attack of myelitis. We can repeat imaging and compare with the old scans to analyze the response.
  • As all the autoimmune tests are negative, the treatment may still remain the same as the previous one.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

May I know the time required for this myelitis to get cure?

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

• It is difficult to predict the exact time to cure, but usually it takes six weeks.

|