Q. I would like to know more about this condition called myocardial bridge.

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I am a 29 year old male. I have a family history of diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. I have been experiencing intermittent chest, left arm and left shoulder pain/discomfort with periods of breathlessness for about two years now. I have had ECGs done on a few occasions and doctors said its unremarkable and commented that the main is orthopedic or neurological in nature. I have consulted a few reputed orthopedic and neurologic doctors and had subsequent MRIs, X-Rays, EMG and NCV done and all reports were normal. The pain was intermittent meanwhile. For the last three months the discomfort became worse. One doctor advised me to get a Cardiac CT done. The result of that showed a myocardial bridge. I have a history of high cholesterol and was under statins for three years now. They have subscribed a beta blocker as well. I would like to know more about the condition. The report and CT image are attached. Looking forward to your opinion.

#

Myocardial bridging - In your case, one of the heart artery LAD, the mid portion, passes through the cardiac muscles instead of lying on the wall.

In the activity, when your heart rate increases due to this problem the blood flow reduce and causes discomfort to you. You try to avoid strenuous activities. With medicine, you will feel better but avoid strenuous activities.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the reply. Are the current medications fine? Also, I would like to mention that I am a smoker for the last 10 years. I would like to get a few incidents to your notice: I used to do yoga and circuit training with a trainer earlier. On a few occasions, while working out, I was suddenly filled with sweat and felt dizzy and lightheaded. The trainer asked me to sit down and took my pulse on a pulse oximeter. The reading was in the range of 195 to 205. He asked me to stop the workout and talk to a doctor. There have been cases where I have felt the discomfort without very intense activity also. Kindly let me know the prognosis and how should I go about it.

#

All your arteries of the heart as per the attached reports are normal, no problem except the portion which I have already mentioned.

You avoid activities which increase your pulse rate above 90-100/min.

You must continue beta blocker Metoprolol XL 25. Be on follow with Cardiologist.

|