Q. I am 15 weeks pregnant. Is it safe to go for a swim?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 15 weeks pregnant. Is it right to go swimming in a pool now?

#

If you know swimming before pregnancy, then you can do it in pregnancy also. Have few precautionary steps. If you do not have a risk of threatened miscarriage, low lying placenta or other complications, then there is a need to avoid overexertion in pregnancy when you go swimming. Try to warm up and cool down yourself gradually. Do not do overexertion.

If you feel tired, come out of the pool immediately. If you are not feeling well, then it is better to avoid swimming. Do not swim in deep waters. Try to have someone with you while going swimming. Try to avoid swimming in late pregnancy and if you have any abnormal symptoms like breathlessness, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting.

| 

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

What can cause continuous twitches throughout the day?

Query: Hi doctor, My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?  Read Full »

Is inhaling sea water a matter of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter inhaled a huge breath of what turned out to be sea water when she rolled onto her back with a snorkel mask. She tried to keep swimming, but breathing was nearly impossible. There were squeaky noises as she tried to get air. Lots of coughing for about two hours afterward; t...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now