Q. I am 15 weeks pregnant. Is it safe to go for a swim?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Nov 14, 2018

I am 15 weeks pregnant. Is it right to go swimming in a pool now?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you know swimming before pregnancy, then you can do it in pregnancy also. Have few precautionary steps. If you do not have a risk of threatened miscarriage, low lying placenta or other complications, then there is a need to avoid overexertion in pregnancy when you go swimming. Try to warm up and cool down yourself gradually. Do not do overexertion.

If you feel tired, come out of the pool immediately. If you are not feeling well, then it is better to avoid swimming. Do not swim in deep waters. Try to have someone with you while going swimming. Try to avoid swimming in late pregnancy and if you have any abnormal symptoms like breathlessness, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting.

| 

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

I have continuous twitches throughout the day. What could this be?

Query: Hi doctor, My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?  Read Full »

Is inhaling sea water a matter of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter inhaled a huge breath of what turned out to be sea water when she rolled onto her back with a snorkel mask. She tried to keep swimming, but breathing was nearly impossible. There were squeaky noises as she tried to get air. Lots of coughing for about two hours afterward; t...  Read Full »

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now