Q. I have an eye power of -4. Will my child also have similar eye problems?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Jun 18, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2018

I have an eye power of -4 in both the eyes since school days. We are expecting our first child. Are there chances of similar eye problem in our child?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are having myopia of -4 dioptres in both the eyes since school days. The treatment for this condition includes:

1. Use of spectacles.
  2. Use of contact lenses
  3. Laser refractive surgeries like LASIK.

Refractive errors of more than -6 dioptres is called pathological myopia and are hereditary in nature. This can be seen in children if one or both the parents are affected with myopia.

In your case, the refractive error is less than -6 dioptres. So, there are less chances of your child getting myopia. But it cannot be ruled out completely. Regular eye examination for the child is necessary after birth to rule out myopia.

| 

Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old girl and I am starting to notice little moles all over my body. Nothing unusual or worrisome. My mother and grandmother are also covered in moles so I guess I should have expected it. My question is, is there a way that I can prevent them from coming in or at least s...  Read Full »

Kidney Stones: Causes, Management and Prevention

Article Overview: One in every 20 people develop kidney stones at some point in their life. Here is an article to know about kidney stones, its management and prevention. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

What is a Kidney Stone? Kidney stones (renal calculi) are hard mineral deposits like calcium, oxalate and phosphorus that form inside the kidneys. They vary in size. A minute stone may pass on its own, causing little or no pain, while stones more than 3mm of size gets stuck in ureters and block the...  Read Article

My small penis creates an inferiority complex when using public toilets. Help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 28 year old male. I am married and have a child. But, my penis is small. It is 2 inches in the normal stage and 4.2 inches during erection. I do not have any sexual issue. I have a good erection and my wife is getting an orgasm. But, the issue is I cannot use the public toile...  Read Full »