Q. Is keratoconus hereditary?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

I am a 27 years old. I got my eyes checked recently and came to know that I am suffering from keratoconus. Both my eyes are damaged. I got my right eye treated and left yet to be done. I have done research on keratoconus and came to know that the cause of this disorder is unknown, but it could be family inheritance. But none of my family members suffered from this disorder. I am a married woman too. I am planning for kids. Now I am worried that my eye disorder will pass on to my baby. Can it? I am actually thinking to wait till both of my eyes get better. Do you want me to wait or plan for pregnancy now?

#

I understand your concern.

• Keratoconus is a genetic disease, and it depends on both the parents. As you did not show any inheritance, there may be chances that your kids will not show it.
  • Moreover, your husband does not have it, so you are on a safer side. But there is still a risk. I would suggest you go for genetic counseling, which will be useful and will help you decide.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|