Q. Is atropine recommended for progressive myopia?

Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale

My daughter is 6 years old. She has progressive myopia. She has a high spherical number in her right eye, which is -3.5 and left eye -1.75. She also has a constant cylindrical number which is -3.25 in the right eye and -2.25 in the left eye. According to her pediatric ophthalmologist, the spherical number is increasing alarmingly in every six months. So, he recommended atropine drop treatment. What is that atropine treatment for progressive myopia? Is 1 % a high dose? Is this treatment recommended in children? What are the side effects? Kindly suggest whether the treatment is right and valid.

Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Some studies show that atropine treatment prevents progression of myopia to some extent. Hence, some doctors recommend it for progressive myopia.

• However, 1% dosage is high. The actual dosage is 0.01%. This treatment needs to be continued till at least 14 to 15 years of age.
  • Atropine will cause blurring of near vision and photophobia (light sensitivity). Hence, the child will need to wear progressive photochromatic glasses.
  • You can definitely proceed with the therapy keeping the above things in mind.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|