Q. Can a NAFLD patient consume cashew and groundnut?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
Published on Apr 04, 2019

My mom is suffering from NAFLD. Is she supposed to avoid both saturated fats and unsaturated fats? Can she eat nuts like cashew and groundnut?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

Dear, she may take unsaturated fats like omega-3 fatty acids or fish oils or cod liver oil, etc. Avoid spicy food and saturated fats. Vitamin E and Vitamin C are useful to reduce fat in the liver. Use tablet Pantoprazole before breakfast for one week in case of acidity or indigestion which is more common in fatty liver disease. Regular exercise, weight reduction may be useful. Please consult your physician for a follow-up scan and blood tests. Take care.

I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. My body weight is 64.5 kg and height is 5'3". My USG report shows that the liver is mildly enlarged in size (liver span is 123 mm), but has normal shape and outline. There is a mild diffuse homogenous increase of hepatic parenchymal echogenicity suggesting mild f...  Read Full »

Is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease life-threatening?

Query: Hello doctor, Hemoglobin: 14.3, platelets: 174000, SGOT: 38.9, SGPT: 65.0 and vitamin D: 23.6. All other reports are normal.  Read Full »

I often have digestion issues and decreasing Hb levels. Can it be bowel cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male. My height is 5 feet and 7 inches, and I weigh about 87 kg. For the past 4 to 5 years, I am suffering from indigestion. This got more serious in the recent years. It used to occur three to four times every week, especially after lunch. I sought medical help an...  Read Full »