Q. My skin around the nails turned brown. Why?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
Published on Jan 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I bite the skin around my nails, and now I noticed that the skin is turning brownish. I have tried washing it, but no result. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

General Medicine HIV/AIDS Specialist Internal Medicine
#

• If the skin remains painful and swells up with reddish discoloration, then you should be concerned and seek antibiotics if needed. Otherwise, just relax.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why is this happening to my skin?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

#

• As you are biting your nails, loss of mucosal integrity leads to transfer of bacteria from your oral cavity to your fingers.

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having low platelet count and blue blotch over the body. The skin discoloration can be from low platelet as thrombocytopenia can lead mucosal bleeding. If it seems cyanotic patches on examination then cardiac, respiratory and vascular causes need to be sear...  Read Full

Please suggest ayurvedic medication for infection resistant to antibiotics.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. I was addicted to cold drinks which had been getting me sick (catching a cold) over the past nine years. Doctors treated me with antibiotics such as Amoxicillin, Cloxacillin, Moxifloxacin, Cefpodoxime, Azithromycin, andSporidex which worked very well many ti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ajith Kumar K N

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can try the following ayurvedic medicines: OCEM-5 drops (Richfield international) - two drops in a glass of lukewarm water twice a day. Indukantham kashayam - 15 mL+50 mL boiled and cooled water twice a day half hour before food. Haridra Khanda churna - one tea...  Read Full

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism. Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded well to antibi...  Read Full