Near Vision

Kindly review my eye examination report and give your opinion on my eye health.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45-year-old male. I never had eye issues before. I did a routine eye examination and attached my reports. My queries are as follows; 1) What exactly does my report says? 2) Is it progressive? 3) Can it be reversed? 4) Do I need a reading glass? Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ammar Zahid Malik

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). This is an average age-related phenomenon, and it is termed presbyopia. It starts at 35 to 36 years in females and around 40 years of age in males. Your power will increase with age. T...  Read Full »

How can you prevent retinal detachment in high myopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I am highly myopic. My left eye is -9.75, and my right eye is around -7.5. I just had an eye examination one month ago, and my eye is in good shape without any degeneration. I am an athlete, and I do a lot of running, weight lifting, and jumping exercises such...  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). As of now, all seems fine. As far as the risk of detachment is concerned, it does not happen just like that. There will be a retinal hole or tear or a lattice degeneration in myopics before the ri...  Read Full »

Can myopia be reduced naturally?

Query: Hi doctor,I have mild myopia. I have been prescribed glasses before five years. My first power was -0.25 and -0.5 dioptre. Now it is -2.5 and -3.0 dioptre. At first, my power got increased -0.5 in both eyes every six months. For the last one and a half years, it has got increased to -0.5 in both eye...  Read Full »

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query and I understand your concern. Myopia does not resolve and only pseudomyopia resolves. For younger children, Atropine can be used as a prophylactic treatment and it is not effective for older children or teens. Exercises are followed fo...  Read Full »

Are contact lenses better than wearing glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, My eye power is -5 on the left eye and -6 on the right eye. My doctor prescribed me glasses, but the glass is big. So, I avoided wearing glasses for a year. Will it cause any problem to the eyes? I do not like to wear glasses. I am thinking about contact lens. Please suggest me. What I...  Read Full »

Dr. David J Mathew

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your power is - 5 and - 6, then your vision will be very poor for distant objects. In order to see things which are not near, you will have to wear glasses. Contact lenses are also fine if you do not have dry eye or allergic conjunctivitis. Your treating eye doctor...  Read Full »

What is the treatment option for nearsightedness in an 11-year-old girl?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter, aged 11, does not see distant objects (letters). She never makes any complaint about this nearsightedness, so we are unaware. She is doing her daily activities, like reading, dancing, and playing without any problem. While watching the IPL, she cannot read the TV screen s...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears that your daughter has developed myopia or shortsightedness. This usually manifests around the age of 11 to 12 years. It usually happens if either parent has a similar problem but can happen sporadically also. These days, it is a common problem with an inc...  Read Full »

Please suggest a good lubricant for near vision.

Query: Hi doctor, I used to spend a lot of time before laptop and tablet. Now, my vision became blurred when I see a computer. I had a headache in exactly one part or one side of the brain. Then, I had a check up and everything was found normal. The doctor suggested me to take capsule Eyetamin for 20 days....  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When you are watching television, you are using your distant vision and while studying or working on laptop or tablets you are using your near vision. The prescription you are telling is for distant vision. Have you ever undergone refraction for near vision, however, i...  Read Full »

One of my eyes is smaller than the other. Please explain my condition.

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about my condition. I used to go to an eye doctor when I was little but I cannot remember when I last went. I was never pushed to go by my parents when I was younger, only when I needed a new pair of glasses. I was born with one eye small, the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have unilateral microphthalmos i.e. your one eye which in your case is right eye is not fully developed and has developed a squint. Other eyes appear normal but I will advise you to get a fundus in the left eye also to rule out any retinal anomaly. The condition in...  Read Full »

Why is there no improvement in vision even after changing the glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently bought new glasses with a different prescription, but I genuinely feel no difference between my glasses. I have tested it at in daylight and also during night time numerous times, I just see the same. I tried to look for the cause myself, but it came to a dead end. Thanks f...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icilniq.com. From your attached prescription, I can tell you that there is a very definite change in the power of your glasses and also in the amount of how much you can see. The best to make that difference stand out, that you can do yourself is to cover each eye and look throu...  Read Full »

When will a lazy eye recover to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a teenager. My left eye has got a power of -2.50 D and I am near-sighted. Will my lazy eye recover to normal vision by using spectacles? How long does it take?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have told that you have -2.5 D in the left eye but you have not mentioned refraction of the right eye. Please tell me your exact age? From how long you are using glasses? Do you patch your normal eye or have you done patching previously? Please explain the refra...  Read Full »

How can the power difference of 0.5 spheres between both eyes be rectified?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old now. I had a cataract surgery in both eyes three years ago. I was told that the formation of cataract was due to side effects of a steroid medicine. When the surgery was done, I did not opt for a progressive lens with cataract lens and power in both the eyes was the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Thilanka Kashyapa Perera

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Well, the difference of 0.5 spheres is acceptable in cataract surgery but the problem is the left eye being a plus. Usually, we aim for a postop minus 0.5 in an eye because it wil...  Read Full »