Q. I am highly myopic and an athlete. What is my risk of having a detached retina?

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

I am a 19-year-old male. I am highly myopic. My left eye is -9.75, and my right eye is around -7.5. I just had an eye examination one month ago, and my eye is in good shape without any degeneration. I am an athlete, and I do a lot of running, weight lifting, and jumping exercises such as burpees. What is my risk of having a detached retina? I am already avoiding activities that involve body contacts, potential head trauma, and for weight lifting, I almost never go for heavy eye weight. I also never stay up overnight, and I have a very tight sleep schedule. I am doing everything I can to protect my eyes, but I am still concerned. Am I safe from doing the physical activities that I have been doing?

#

I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity). As of now, all seems fine. As far as the risk of detachment is concerned, it does not happen just like that. There will be a retinal hole or tear or a lattice degeneration in myopics before the risk of retinal detachment occurs. I would just advise you to have six months of retina checkups for now. If any of the above lesion appears it can be treated with barrage laser.

Yes, you can involve in sports activities. There is no issue with cardiac activities. You just avoid weight lifting, and a maximum of seven kgs is the limit. You can stay up overnight, and that has nothing to do with detachment. Also, your number will stabilize now as you are 19 years old.

|