Q. My one eye is small with nearsightedness. Will it progress to blindness?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about my condition. I used to go to an eye doctor when I was little but I cannot remember when I last went. I was never pushed to go by my parents when I was younger, only when I needed a new pair of glasses.

I was born with one eye small, the other normal. My vision is fine, I am very nearsighted but with glasses, I see quite well. My depth perception is normal too, I can see most things and when I tried to drive once, it went well. In my affected eye pupil is floating around. I cannot see much out of it, and it is not big enough.

Other than that, no other health conditions. Could anyone tell me what this is? Is it something that progresses and will I go blind someday?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You have unilateral microphthalmos i.e. your one eye which in your case is right eye is not fully developed and has developed a squint. Other eyes appear normal but I will advise you to get a fundus in the left eye also to rule out any retinal anomaly.

The condition in the right will always remain like this and this condition will not affect the left eye. If it is normal just do not engage in activities that can lead do an injury in the left eye also. So please consult a vitreoretinal specialist to rule out any retinal lesions in the left eye and get yourself rechecked for glasses every six months.

Though your left eye appears very normal from outside but since you are nearsighted I will advise you to get retinal examination in your normal eye too, so that if there is any treatable lesion we can fix it at an early stage.

| 

Do you know if people with my condition can drive with glasses? Would you recommend an glass eye surgery? A lot of people tell me about it but I do not want my normal eye to be affected and I am afraid a surgery could put me in risk.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As a doctor, my opinion is you should not drive because your depth perception would be hampered. Getting a glass eye or artificial eye will not affect your normal eye at all do not worry.

It is just that I want you to have a yearly retinal examination of your left normal eye and six-monthly glasses recheck.

|