Q. I use glasses but still have difficulty in reading. How to solve this?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Aug 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am 33 years old and I am using glasses for the last two years. My glasses numbers are right side is 3.5 and the left side is 1 but it is difficult to read books or newspaper. Can you help me? What can I do to solve the problem?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

There could be two things that can cause a difficulty with your reading vision.

Firstly, you could have developed premature presbyopia and although this is less likely given your young age, this condition is on the rise nowadays. In this condition, you will find it comfortable to read if you simply keep your books or mobile phones a bit farther than usual. In case you have this issue, kindly get your eyes re-examined by an ophthalmologist or optometrist to include near vision correction as well.

Secondly, in case you have recently changed your glasses the problem could lie with:

1. Power imbalance between your eyes due to a wide power difference (3.5 and 1).
  2. Faulty design of spectacles.
  3. Wrong glass power/error in prescription. This can be true in case your vision is bad for distant and also near objects.

These can be rectified once again by examination by your ophthalmologist or optometrist.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

How can the power difference of 0.5 spheres between both eyes be rectified?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old now. I had a cataract surgery in both eyes three years ago. I was told that the formation of cataract was due to side effects of a steroid medicine. When the surgery was done, I did not opt for a progressive lens with cataract lens and power in both the eyes was the ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Thilanka Kashyapa Perera
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Well, the difference of 0.5 spheres is acceptable in cataract surgery but the problem is the left eye being a plus. Usually, we aim for a postop minus 0.5 in an eye because it wil...  Read Full