Q. Do I also need benzodiazepine to control my anxiety problem?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I currently take 5mg Trintellix and 400mgs Gabapentin a day. We have recently reduced my Trintellix from 10mg and stopped 100mg Zoloft. My anxiety is horrible. I'm very irritatable and agitated easily and really want to bust out crying many times throughout the day. My chest/throat is very heavy w pressure. I really want the right regimen so this will subside. Please help.

I have had depression and anxiety for about the past 15 years. I really like what the Trintellix has done for me but my anxiety is out of control.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

Innova zoloft was decreased, were you facing some side effects?

In my opinion zoloft is a SSRI class of drug which is one of the best anti anxiety and anti depression medicines. if you were stable on that medicine this is not a wise decision to switch it.

if you had any side effect we could have been switched to another SSRI or SNRI class of drug class of drug medicine.

gabapentin may not work at the same level as done by zoloft

you can request your psychiatrist to reconsider this switching and make the changes according to your needs and side effect profile

| 

I started 10mg of Trintellix last year and continued to take 50mg of Zoloft. Starting of this year, my anxiety was extreme so my psychiatrist increased it to 100mg. It did not help. So, a month later, I decided to wean myself off of the Zoloft because I thought that was the cause. I told my doctor this at the first part of this month I wanted to decrease my dosage of Trintellix to 5mg but needed something for anxiety. He started me on .5mg Klonopin which has helped me in the past. It helped for maybe a week but then the anxiety came back. He then thought 200mg of Gabapentin would help. So, I stopped the Klonopin and the Gabapentin helped for about a week and then I noticed that if I took 100mg at 9am, 100mg at 3pm and 200mg at 9pm, my anxiety was better. Now, a week later, I need more or just something different. The Trintellix has really helped with my depression and I am so much more motivated to do things I haven't wanted to do in a long time. Is the Trintellix causing the anxiety? If not the Gabapentin, is there a benzo that is has a longer half life so I don't have to take something every 5 or 6 hours?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

#

hi weaning off from Trintellix and Zoloft can also cause rebound anxiety I don't think Trintellix causing anxiety because it decrease anxiety and depression Klonopin is a long acting benzo two more benzo which act longer than it are 1) librium i.e. chlordiazepoxide 2) nitrazepam both are long acting in my opinion you can start Zoloft in 50 mg dose with gabapentin Zoloft stay in blood for around 35 hours so you don't need multiple dosing in a day and it will decrease your anxiety too

| 
Thanks for your feedback. But I was on the Trintellix and Zoloft and my anxiety was horrible. Do you feel I will also need the benzo to control it?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I am on Zoloft for my anxiety and I am worried about QTc prolongation. Will Zoloft cause sudden cardiac death?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety disorder from the age of 15 (will be 35 by the end of this month). I started having frequent panic attacks and debilitating anxiety after my grandmother's death. Before all this, I had been on Paxil. Six months before, my doctor switched me to Zoloft 50 mg and increased...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative for Benzodiazepines in treating anxiety and PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD. For about five years, I have been on a variety of Benzodiazepines. Right now, I am on 2 mg Xanax four times a day. It is better than nothing, but I have built up such tolerance benzodiazepines hardly work for me. I know the on...  Read Full »

How do Benzodiazepine work on anxiety and panic attacks?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently suffer from anxiety attacks and panic attacks. It has been changing over the course of about four years, getting better and worse again. In everyday life it is manageable, but the attacks cause some unreasonable thoughts and ideas to form. I have heard about the use of Ben...  Read Full »

COVID-19 and MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children)
MIS-C is a potentially fatal condition that affects children infected with COVID-19. Please read the article to know its...  Read more»
I have fever, severe headache, and cough. Please help me.
I have fever since five days. My fever comes down when I take medicine but eventually comes back. I also have severe hea...  Read more»
Brucellosis - Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Brucellosis, a zoonosis, is caused by consuming unpasteurized milk or raw meat obtained from infected animals. For sympt...  Read more»