Q. What can cause genital numbness?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I have been riding my bike a lot more recently and now I noticed that I am having numbness within the perineal region including scrotum and penile area. I have stopped riding since the onset of symptoms and it has been over a week now. Should these symptoms resolve with time if I quit riding? Please suggest.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• The two most common causes of perineal or genital numbness is compression of the nerves in your spine (called as cauda equina) or compression of the nerves in the perineum itself.
  • Only sensory loss is uncommon but still possible in cauda equina syndrome (CES), since it is more commonly associated with other symptoms.
  • Compression of nerve in the perineum typically occurs in cyclists.
  • I will suggest you to go to the closest ER (emergency room) urgently. You need to be evaluated to reach the correct diagnosis.
  • They may also order an MRI for you to identify the exact site of nerve compression since the treatment varies as per the site of compression. Delay in treatment may make the symptoms irreversible.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

What is the treatment for perineal nerve compression most often? Are NSAIDs and rest the treatment? Please guide.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

#

• Yes. You are right. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and rest are the main treatment given for perineal nerve compression.
  • In addition the following need to be done.
  1. Use of ring cushion to sit.
  2. Avoid straining during micturition and emptying your bowels.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|