Q. I have anxiety, swollen left lymph node and spasm in calves. Could the reason be ALS or BFS?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Nov 16, 2019

I have a question regarding ALS vs BFS. I have severe anxiety, a kind fo shakes when arms are crossed, swollen lymph node on the left side of neck, sore wrists, muscle spasms in calves, and on outstretch the left arm gets fatigued. I have done MRI, EKG, and MRI cervical spine.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) does not usually cause just fasciculation. It is usually associated to progressive paralysis and muscle wasting in the hands and legs. Other symptoms like troubles with swallowing, breathing occur later after some months. During physical exam pyramidal signs and diminished neurological reflexes can be seen (by the doctor). So, I do not think that your symptoms are related to ALS.

On the other hand the inflamed lymph node in the neck is not related to ALS. Nevertheless, the nerve conduction studies would help to definitely exclude ALS. You should discuss it with your doctor on the above test. I would also advise checking vitamin D and vitamin B12 levels for possible deficiency, thyroid hormone levels for possible imbalances. I hope this helps.

He already did an EKG? Isn't that a nerve conduction study? He zapped my arm over and over. Do you have any idea of when I stretch my arms straight it gets locked up? I woke up one day and it was just like that.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

The EKG (electrocardiogram) is a test that examines the heart. Nerve conduction studies are called ENG (electronystagmography) and are performed with a small amount of electricity induced by electrodes in the arm and fingers. Do you remember such test? If no, I would recommend performing it.

Regarding the spasm in your arm, it could be related to a wrong position during sleep. I recommend trying to stretch your arm frequently during the day. In the meantime, I recommend trying magnesium supplements to help against the cramps.

I have a strong, and persistent twitching in my left calf. Is this a severe neurological condition?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had strong, persistent twitching in my left calf for over a week, sometimes with intermittent twitching in thigh, foot and buttock of the same leg. I am very concerned about this. I had a neurological exam (strength and reflex testing) at my GP, and he said all looked normal or...  Read Full »

Why am I having muscle twitches all over my body?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having muscle twitches all around my body for about two months. First I noticed it in the legs, around my calves, arms and even on my back. It has been fairly noticeable around my shoulders, and biceps. At one point I even noticed my right eye twitching whenever I blinked,...  Read Full »

I have calf pain for past six months and MRI shows no abnormal findings. What could it be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I used to run about five km and do cycling about 6 km. I got a calf pain six months ago, though it would get normal in a few days, the pain persists, the MRI shows nothing. The doctors tell everything is fine, but the pain is too much, could not even walk for a few mins continuously. ...  Read Full »