Q. Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause depression and anxiety?

Dr. Sonia Malhotra
Published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is not fulfilling his duties to his mother and sister. He is trembling and shaking because of subconscious thinking. I know his mother and sister, and they are proud of him. How to convince him for it?

#

• Please take your friend to a psychiatrist for treatment with a combination of antidepressants and cognitive behavior therapy for best results.
  • Please continue his vitamin B12 replacement as going on. Eating green vegetables and white meat like chicken and fish will help.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every coin h...  Read Article

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with due interest and understand your concerns. Low sex drive is a common symptom of a variety of medical and psychiatric disorders. Before I speculate anything about it I need you to answer a few questions in detail. Mention the duration of the pro...  Read Full