Q. Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause depression and anxiety?

Dr. Sonia Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is not fulfilling his duties to his mother and sister. He is trembling and shaking because of subconscious thinking. I know his mother and sister, and they are proud of him. How to convince him for it?

#

• Please take your friend to a psychiatrist for treatment with a combination of antidepressants and cognitive behavior therapy for best results.
  • Please continue his vitamin B12 replacement as going on. Eating green vegetables and white meat like chicken and fish will help.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|