Q. My daughter's left eye closes when she smiles. Is it something to worry?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

For my 8 year old daughter, her left eye closes when she smiles. This is very prominent and regular lately in the last one month. Earlier, it was very occasional. Is this something to worry? She is far sighted with -0.25 in both the eyes, but does not wear spectacles regularly.

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• How long she has this problem? Was there any significance at the time of her birth or any injury?
  • You should consult a neurophysician if the condition is persisting and problematic.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

As mentioned, it is very prominent in the last 20 to 25 days. At the time of her birth, nothing significant observed or noticed. She is a left-handed and writes with left hand. But, she eats with right hand. She is very creative and has a good memory for her age. Just two weeks back, when she was jumping over the bed, she fell down. She had a small cut over her left temporal region above her left eye. Initially, we suspected this issue as the impact of the injury, but the wound has healed now and the problem of eye closing persists. I have attached the pictures for your reference. Please advice about the seriousness of her problem.

Dr. Shikha

#

• This history of trauma is actually significant. After trauma when the nerve regenerates some of the fibers of one nerve may regenerate and get connections with another nerve.
  • Some treatment options are available for this, but I will not recommend to go for them as side effects and disadvantages are many more.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

So, what do you suggest? Does this heal by itself or she has to live with it forever? Is there any precaution to be taken? Please let me know if this is something serious to worry at all.

Dr. Shikha

#

• This is not as such a serious problem. But, socially and cosmetically unacceptable.
  • May be physiotherapy will help to some extent. They can explain some exercises also. I do not think it will increase further and so do not worry.

| 
Doctor, sorry i'm not very clear. Will this condition remain for ever or does it improve as she grows?
In medical terminology what is this called?

Dr. Shikha

# Hello Pradeep
It should improve with time with age.
Please consult to a physiotherapist and also a neurophysician for appropriate treatment.

|