Q. Will laser treatment be effective in removing the birthmark without recurrence?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I have a birthmark behind the right side of my neck, which looks like a black thick mass. I had once consulted a skin specialist to check if there are any options to get this removed. I was told that even if it is removed by surgical means there are chances that it may reappear. I want to confirm this. Do we have any options to remove it by surgical or nonsurgical means? Are there laser treatments available? Will I have to remove my hair if I need to undergo treatment? I have attached a photograph of the affected area.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen the photo. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I understand your concern. The condition is known as nevus sebaceous. In case of deep surgical excision in nevus sebaceous, chances of it coming back are very less. The thing is the excision should be deep to minimize the chances of recurrences.

Laser treatments are there but not very effective and chances of recurrences are more. Hair needs to be removed as the area should be devoid of it to perform surgery. Cost depends on the different doctors and their location or specialty.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

I would like to know if the thickness of the scar can be reduced, if not completely removed by laser treatment or any other topical creams? Are there any side effects in these treatments?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

Topical agents are not effective. Laser can still be done although chances of recurrence are more. Lasers like fractional Co2 laser can be effective and leave less scar than conventional surgery. Side effects of laser are usually short-lasting, like redness and crusting after the procedure which can last for a week.

|