Q. The shape of my freckle worries me. Please have a look at it.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2022

I would like you to look at a freckle (I do not know if it is a mole) that is on my upper thigh. I have had this for many years and it is completely flat. I have not noticed any changes and I have no other symptoms. It was just the shape that I was a bit concerned about. It measures 5 mm by 3 mm.

#

I have gone through your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The lesion appears more like a nevus (mole). It appears totally benign. I do not find any atypical features in it as of now. With regards to the shape, moles can have different appearances. Nevi can be irregularly bordered and that is not a worrisome feature. You could relax as the lesion does not have any danger signs. However, you should monitor it once every six months for any increase in size, changes in shape, itching, and erosions. Serial photographs of the lesion could help in the long term.

|