Q. Are my HBV and HCV tests conclusive?

I have attached my three medical test reports, of which, two are for HBV, and one result is for HCV. These results are almost six months old, and they were taken exactly after six months of potential exposure to these viruses.

I have not had any symptoms in the past one year, but I understand that most of the people do not either recognize or experience any symptoms.

Other than that, I also had a fourth generation ELISA HIV test six months back. What do these results show? Do I need to get tested further?

#

I have seen the test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is my interpretation.

For hepatitis B surface antibody, a level less than five is considered negative, while a level more than 12 is considered protective.

So, you have hepatitis B antibody titer of three, which suggests that there are not enough antibodies against hepatitis B virus in your body. So, you should get hepatitis B vaccination.

Regarding hepatitis C virus, it is nonreactive, meaning you do not have hepatitis C virus infection also.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I wanted to know, are my HBV and HCV results conclusive? Should I be convinced that I do not have these viruses? It has almost been a year since the possible exposure to these viruses.

#

The hepatitis B virus antigen is nonreactive and thus ruling out any current HBV infection. But you have very little antibodies against HBV, so you should get a vaccination to increase your antibody titer.

Hepatitis C virus antibody is within the normal range, indicating you do not have HCV infection also.

As both tests are negative, you do not have any of these viruses.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for your reply. Do I need to get tested again with a different HBV or HCV test?

#

Thanks for your feedback.

These three tests are sufficient and sensitive to rule out HBV and HCV infections.

If you have even the slightest of doubt, then you can go ahead with only one test for confirmation of HCV infection, which is HCV RNA (hepatitis C virus ribonucleic acid test) quantitative test for viral load in the body.

But, it is generally not recommended after six months since antibodies are negative.

Thanks for your repeated answers to my queries. So, my test results are conclusive. It has been one year now since the exposure, but there is no need to repeat the tests, right? Sir, my questions are anxiety driven, thanks a lot for your cooperation.

#

Thanks for the feedback.

I can understand your anxiety. You do not need to do any test now. Your results are within normal limits.

|