Q. I am not an alcoholic, but my liver is fatty. Is it NAFLD?

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 39 year old male. My height is 5'2"and weight is 62 kg. Today through USG I came to know that my liver is fatty (grade 1 diffuse fatty liver). I am very much worried and I do not drink alcohol. I have been taking Omega-3, protein powder and multivitamin supplements for the last one and half a year. Is it NAFLD? Please suggest me to cure the disease.

#

• Get liver function tests, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody test done.
  • If all the above tests come normal, then nothing to worry, but do not ignore it.
  • Do regular exercise and get a liver function test and USG (ultrasound sonography) done for every six months.
  • It does not cause any problems in 9 out of 10 patients, but in 1 out of 10 it can develop into cirrhosis and liver failure. So, repeat the tests for every six months as I mentioned.
  • I suggest you to take capsule Evion (vitamin E) 400 units once daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

Revert back with the test reports to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I am a little bit confused about the tests. How many tests are there? Please mention the names serially so that I can show it to the pathology. Capsule Evion 400 for how many days? Please mention what to avoid in my diet.

#

• At present blood tests includes liver function test (LFT), HBsAg and HCV antibody. Then, for every six months liver function test and ultrasonography should be done.
  • You need to continue capsule Evion (vitamin E) for two months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • It is nothing but vitamin E, which is helpful in NAFLD.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|