Q. I am not an alcoholic, but my liver is fatty. Is it NAFLD?

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
Published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 39 year old male. My height is 5'2"and weight is 62 kg. Today through USG I came to know that my liver is fatty (grade 1 diffuse fatty liver). I am very much worried and I do not drink alcohol. I have been taking Omega-3, protein powder and multivitamin supplements for the last one and half a year. Is it NAFLD? Please suggest me to cure the disease.

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• Get liver function tests, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody test done.
  • If all the above tests come normal, then nothing to worry, but do not ignore it.
  • Do regular exercise and get a liver function test and USG (ultrasound sonography) done for every six months.
  • It does not cause any problems in 9 out of 10 patients, but in 1 out of 10 it can develop into cirrhosis and liver failure. So, repeat the tests for every six months as I mentioned.
  • I suggest you to take capsule Evion (vitamin E) 400 units once daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

Revert back with the test reports to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I am a little bit confused about the tests. How many tests are there? Please mention the names serially so that I can show it to the pathology. Capsule Evion 400 for how many days? Please mention what to avoid in my diet.

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

#

• At present blood tests includes liver function test (LFT), HBsAg and HCV antibody. Then, for every six months liver function test and ultrasonography should be done.
  • You need to continue capsule Evion (vitamin E) for two months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • It is nothing but vitamin E, which is helpful in NAFLD.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Do I need to worry about my LFT report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. My weight is 75 kg and height is 5'11". Two years ago, I was a heavy drinker. But, nowadays I only drink beer once a week for about 6 to 7 pints. My SGOT AND SGPT levels were much higher two years ago. I think they were around 150 to 175. I just got my LFT done b...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

According to the reports, do I need an immediate liver CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago. Earlier, I was 540 lbs and now, my weight is 300 lbs. About 5 years ago, I started drinking hard alcohol (Vodka) weekly. As of three weeks ago, I started getting a tight, bloated, tingly sensation from my chest down to my ...  Read Full »