Q. I have numbness on cheek with drooping eyelid and muscle tension. Kindly help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 20-year-old male. I have numbness on my left cheek/jaw and sometimes even under ear for around four to five days now. I feel like my eyelid is drooping. It could have always just been that way. I have right calf muscle tension and tension on both arms (triceps). Occasionally the left cheek goes numb too.

I have had a sinus infection, so my ears got clogged up (negative pressure) and I could not hear anything for a while (about a month ago) now all is good aside from my ongoing sinus issue. I do have a tooth cavity on my bottom left side too, and wisdom teeth is coming out. Could this be a stroke?

#

I am impressed with your awareness. The way you are describing it appears as Bell's palsy (you can better call it local stroke). But let me explain what happens. Do you have a deviation of face, loss of wrinkles on the forehead? You can search for a photo of Bell's palsy on the internet, and let me know.

This kind of symptoms can also occur in trigeminal neuralgia or herpes. Sinus infection can also be a reason for that.

Please tell me the following things duration of symptoms? Any history of hypertension, diabetes? Any history of vesicular lesions inside your ear canal? Any recent severe exposure to cold? Any history of recent fever? Please reply.

All symptoms to do with numbness have lasted for around four to five days. The muscle tension has started today. No history of hypertension or diabetes. No history of any vesicular lesions inside the ear canal. I travelled abroad and I just had a fever five weeks ago.

The muscle tension is very strong now though, I feel like my triceps ache after a workout. I feel like I have been lifting for hours today. I almost feel like I have muscle tension around my face too. What could this be? Is this a symptom of stroke?

#

It does not seem to be a symptom of stroke. However, it can be Bell's palsy as I told you. Muscle tension is not a feature of stroke. However, muscle weakness is.

I suppose you should take rest. In case you develop any of features of Bell's palsy, consult a doctor nearby as a physical examination will help to diagnose. You may send me a photograph of your face.

You do not have any major risk factors for stroke, so chances are minimal. I suppose you do not take alcohol. If yes, let me know the duration and quantity. Bell's palsy is also a type of stroke but well treated.

I suggest the following medications for sinusitis for treating my patients. You may consider with consultation with your doctor.

Tablet Levofloxacin 500 mg once a day for five days, Telekast -L once daily in the night for 15 days. Do steam inhalation three to four times a day.

What really worries me is the burning muscle tensions. My biceps and triceps are burning as if I just had a two to three hours workout. When I clench a fist and just lean on it while working on the desk, my arm is shaking. Could this be a serious issue?

#

This kind of muscle tension can be there if you have done some heavy work following weightlifting, and sweating in the gym without rehydration can cause this.

If it continues, you need an evaluation of neurological disease. As I always say, that it is also better to be sure. So get your self examined by a doctor and get the following investigations done.

1. Serum calcium + serum albumin, some times the calcium and Vitamin D deficiency manifests like this.

2. Hemogram.

3. Kidney function test to see for serum creatinine and serum potassium.

I will not be able to describe you with surety as I have not examined you. I can explain to you differentials.

|