Q. My wife has peculiar headache near left ear. What is it?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
Published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

My wife is 35 years old. She is 5 feet and weighs 50 kg. She is having a peculiar pain for the past six to eight months. The pain is located just above the left ear and 2 cm beside the left eye. Earlier, the pain use to occur once in one to two months. Usual timing for this pain is bedtime during nights around 10 to 11 PM. The pain will last for just 5 to 10 minutes. She kept ignoring it by assuming as a normal headache. Slowly the frequency of this pain increased to once in every 15 to 20 days. This went on to reach once in every two to three days during last month. We were to go on an urgent trip to hometown; therefore we thought to postpone the checkup till the return from the trip. During the hometown trip, we discussed with a known neuro doctor, who got her head CT done. CT report is absolutely normal and he suggested that my wife should not take much tension. For past one week, the frequency of the pain increased to two to three times in a day. At times she had some kind of pain with her left ear in the past. But that is not affecting her now. Currently, the timing of the pain is not fixed and the same happens at any point of time. Usually it lasts for approximately 15-20 minutes. Since the CT scan report of the head is absolutely normal, we are not able to figure out the real reason for this pain. What could be the possible reason for this pain? Can I get the detailed response? She is also having very minor increase in thyroid level. However, as per experts the current level does not require any medication. I am attaching the CT report as well as the recent thyroid report. Apart from this, she does not have any other significant symptom. I am looking forward to your response.

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Neurology Paediatrics
#

• Headache which you have described could be migraines. I would need to know answer of few questions which would help me in getting to the right diagnosis.
  • Any history of headache (HA) in your wife's family or your children? How does the headache feel - throbbing, pulsating or pressure type?
  • Does she get any aura (symptoms) prior to start of her HA such as flashing of lights, colors, stars, black dots, etc?
  • Did she experience any numbness over face or fingers? Describe her HA severity in grade 1-10, 1 - minimum and 10 - maximum.
  • What brings her HA and what relieves it? For example sleep, food and dark room.
  • Is she sensitive to noise and sound during her HA? Does she get nausea or vomiting with these HA?
  • Does she get any redness in eyes, tearing in eyes (left eye) with these HA?
  • Does she have any motion sickness, brain freeze with ice cream or wet hands?
  • Does she take any medicine for these HA?
  • Since your HA frequency are frequent (when they occur, they occur as multiple episodes in a day). Once I have answers to these questions, I would discuss about management (drugs).
  • In the interim it is good and reassuring that CT head is normal, which tells you there is no mass occupying lesion or increase ICP (intracranial pressure).
  • Also, mild increase in TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) should not be associated with her HA.
  • Things she should do in the interim are drink water 2 L per day and keep herself well hydrated. Exercise daily and run 2 km, at 4 km/hour speed at least. Have a good sleep for eight hours a day.

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. My answers for your questions are as follows. There is no history of headache in wife’s family. Blood pressure and diabetes issues are there with her father. Her headache is pulsatile in nature. No, she do not have any aura prior to the start of HA. She does not experience any numbness. Her headache starts with pain of grade 1 and in peak the severity is between 8 and 9 and then after 15 to 20 minutes again it ends with the grade 1. Approximately, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to reach the peak and recedes back to normal in some two minutes. There is no aggravating and relieving factor as such. Yes, she is sensitive to noise and sound. She did not have nausea or vomiting. There is no redness or watering of eyes. She did not have any motion sickness or brain freeze. She is not on any regular medicine. Only at times she will take painkiller during the headache. Kindly provide a detailed response, so that I can be assured of the correct treatment.

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Neurology Paediatrics
#

• HA you have described seem consistent with migraines. She would need a daily prophylactic medication for prevention.
  • There are natural things which she can try which does not need prescription and you can buy them online or at a pharmacy.
  • I am suggesting her the following medicines which she can start taking with the consent of her specialist doctor.
  • Take tablet Riboflavin 200 mg oral daily, Magnesium oxide 400 mg oral daily and Coq10 (coenzyme Q10) 200 mg oral daily.
  • Also, remind her to do lifestyle modification as discussed previously, which will help significantly. Avoid caffeinated products. Avoid taking pain killers more than two per day or two per week or 10 in a month to prevent rebound HA.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

How to treat headaches and backpain for epilepsy patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old son has been complaining of headaches and back pain. He also has epilepsy and had two spinal taps. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy since he was two weeks old. In the past, he has been on Phenobarbital. Please help.  Read Full »

I have headaches, eye pain and vomiting. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I have a cluster head ache for the past five years. I feel severe pain behind my eye, which normally ends with vomiting. This happens for three to four days at a stretch. I do not want to undergo any surgery immediately. Hence, kindly advise me medications t...  Read Full »

Is headache a symptom of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 14 days, I had an encounter with a female escort. We had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. I am worried about the possibility of HIV as I am experiencing headaches. From day 4 or 5 post exposure, I have had a general malaise feeling in my head, feeling spaced out and ...  Read Full »