Q. I am suffering from numbness in my toes. Does it indicate alcoholic neuropathy?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

I have had numbness in my toes for approximately three months. Sometimes there is a little bit of tingling along with it. It has not affected the activity or my way of life. I also have backache and a lot of degeneration in the back. I am on Levothyroxine, Rouvostatin, and Aspirin. Occasionally I take Xanax for anxiety.

Also, I had ankle surgery before four months on my right ankle, and this is the second surgery on that ankle. The numbness and tingling started just around that time. I also drank wine. I can drink anywhere from two to four glasses a day, but there have been many times when I go without alcohol for months at a time. I am getting very anxious about this, and I understand there are many many causes for numbness and tingling and that it can be very progressive. I would like to know if my liver enzymes are normal, is it possible to have alcohol neuropathy?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

I would ask you whether your problem of numbness on feet is only restricted to the operated ankle or it is on both feet? Moreover, you seem to be drinking time almost every day be restricted slowly. Alcoholic neuropathy is bilateral, and if you have on both legs, you need to stop drinking and start taking Vitamin B12 500 microgram twice a day. Regarding your back problem, if there is radiating pain, you could worry about degenerative disorders. What sort of surgery did you undergo? They are the possibility of post-surgery injury of sensory nerve ending damage which could explain our problem also. Well, I would say, if you stop drinking, your liver will be fine.

Post surgery

Nil

Alcoholic neuropathy

My question was if I have normal liver enzymes, can I still have alcohol neuropathy? The numbness is primarily in the operated toes, but I have minor or little in the left toes.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

Normal liver enzymes do not rule out the possibility of affecting nerves and tests the reason I emphasized regarding off from wine consumption. Moreover, in the affected side where you had undergone surgery, it gets easily affected with the above habit.

If my general practitioner sends me to a neurologist, how would they detect whether the numbness is a result of the alcohol consumption, i.e. Can they detect if it is alcohol use causing this, and what tests have to be performed to determine what is causing the numbness? Are the tests painful? Finally, if I quit drinking entirely or only have a glass occasionally, can the condition be reversed or will it persist even if I abstain from alcohol use.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

Yes, it can be detected by doing what is called nerve connection studies, and even subtle problem in another leg can also be identified, but in your case, it is not necessary. Good to hear that you gave up the habit, and hopefully, you continue to be totally out of it. By doing with time, you will be better.

Sedentary Lifestyle Has the Same Impact on Your Heart as Smoking Does!!!

Article Overview: Research confirms that sedentary lifestyle is the same as smoking too much combustive tobacco. It kills you due to heart disorders, the same way as smoking does. Read Article

Have you seen a person stabbing his own heart??? Yes, I have seen many of them and in fact I see them daily in my clinical practice. People are killing themselves on the name of the so-called new modern busy lifestyles and eating habits. All of this is silently killing them by deteriorating their h...  Read Article

I have lower back pain and numbness of feet. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had lower back pain since the last one year. I got an MRI done and it is attached below. I saw a radiologist and he did not advise me much. I have a sitting job. Will running be beneficial in this situation? Do I need to take analgesics? I cannot sleep at night because of the...  Read Full »

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »