Q. I experience numbness extending from shoulder to palm. Kindly help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I am a 37-years-old female. My weight is 68 kg with the height 5'6". There was a sudden numbness in the right arm starting at the shoulder, traveling to the palm. The numbness began while sleeping and triggered again while trying to sleep again. I experience a strange heaviness while awake. Tried applying a pain relief ointment but no effect. Please help.

#

Numbness may be due to compression of the nerve while keeping the hand under head in flexion. In this position ulnar nerve may compress at elbow or radial nerve in radial ridge or median nerve compression in carpal tunnel syndrome. Hypothyroidism, anemia or electrolyte imbalance or peripheral neuropthy or diabetes patients are more prone for numbness. So do not keep tha hand under your head. Use tablet Methylcobalamin regularly. If there is no improvement please consult your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

| 

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Is it serious to have tingling sensation in hand?

Query: Hello doctor, Today, my hand is tingly off and on. It is my entire hand, but it especially seems to affect my pinky finger. My other hand does not have this issue, and it does not affect any other part of my body. The tingling feeling has come and gone for two hours. Is there any way for me to tell...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness with tingling sensation in my right hand ring finger?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I carried heavy grocery bags and after that my right-hand ring finger got numb with a tingling sensation. It is persistent for the past one month.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»