Q. What is the reason for constant numbness in calf muscles?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Aug 07, 2019

I have a constant numbness in my left calf for over two months. I have almost zero feeling when touched, pinched, burned and poked. It does not cause me any pain whatsoever apart from irregular shooting pain when crouching. I cannot find any information on this symptom.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Which part of the calf is the numbness situated? Back or the front? Injury to the tibial sensory portion of the sciatic nerve can lead to numbness in the back of the calf while the injury to the common peroneal portion will lead to numbness to the front and side in the leg. From your description of numbness following crouching will be more likely to result in the involvement of the tibial portion of the sciatic nerve. Very uncommon but by no means impossible for the sensory branches to be trapped at a fibrous arch or injured following a direct trauma. It needs clinical exam to ascertain the exact cause.

Does my spine MRI point towards sciatica?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old male with height 5'9" and weight 65 kg facing a problem of pain in left leg, weakness, and numbness, tingling in feet and stiffness in thighs along with pain in calf muscles. I am facing a difficulty in walking. I have done an MRI of the spine. Please provide with ap...  Read Full »

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in my hands and feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have numbness in my hands and feet for the past two years. It is worsening gradually. The last month, it has got significantly aggravated. The numbness starts with tingling. When I am trying to grab something, I am unable to grab it. I also suffer from worsening cognitive function as I...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now