Q. Why am I getting numb only on the left leg?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

At random times, throughout the day while sitting, standing and lying down my left leg will start to go numb. It will start right under the buttock in the hamstring area and slowly work its way down to last from 5 to 10 minutes. Then, it goes away upon movement. This has been happening for around one month. I thought it was because of my same position for a long time. But, it is only in the left leg. Why?

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• Numbness in your leg while sitting, usually happens due to sciatic nerve compression. It can be compressed at different levels through its way, from the lumbar spine down to the feet due to disc herniation or muscle contracture.
  • In your case, lumbar compression or piriformis syndrome (compression through the piriformis muscle) might be the cause.
  • Anyway, if it lasts for a long time, a neurologist consult and an MRI would be necessary to evaluate the condition.
  • I would suggest you Muscoflex 4 mg (Thiocolchicoside) twice daily and Vitamin B complex. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|