Q. Why am I getting numb only on the left leg?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
Published on Sep 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

At random times, throughout the day while sitting, standing and lying down my left leg will start to go numb. It will start right under the buttock in the hamstring area and slowly work its way down to last from 5 to 10 minutes. Then, it goes away upon movement. This has been happening for around one month. I thought it was because of my same position for a long time. But, it is only in the left leg. Why?

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• Numbness in your leg while sitting, usually happens due to sciatic nerve compression. It can be compressed at different levels through its way, from the lumbar spine down to the feet due to disc herniation or muscle contracture.
  • In your case, lumbar compression or piriformis syndrome (compression through the piriformis muscle) might be the cause.
  • Anyway, if it lasts for a long time, a neurologist consult and an MRI would be necessary to evaluate the condition.
  • I would suggest you Muscoflex 4 mg (Thiocolchicoside) twice daily and Vitamin B complex. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What are the reasons for left side hip pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some pain on the left side just above my hip bone. It started recently after I finished my period and it has been there for a few days. It is very much uncomfortable and hurts when there is pressure on it.  Read Full »

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full »