Q. What can I do for weakness of the legs and numbness of the toes?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My right leg is weak and toes also numb. Last year I had the same problem in my left leg. I can no longer control and use my left hand. I had same problem with my right hand before two years. I am very concerned because I can feel my left leg getting weaker and numb and my right hand is going numb again. Kindly advice.

Do you have a question on Weakness or Numbness?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

MBBS., MD MEDICINE., DM NEUROLOGY
Neurology

As mentioned in your history you have (attachment removed to protect patient identity),

1. Atrial Fibrillation.

2. TIA (transient ischemic attack).

3. Hyperlipidemia.

4. Migraine.

5. Fibromyalgia.

Atrial fibrillation is possibly not found last time, and so it might be you have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Most of your test including MRI brain, CT angiography of neck vessels, 2D echocardiography, and MRI spine did not show any specific abnormality. Also documented are anxiety and depression.

I would like to know some detailed information about your symptoms and medications,

1. What exactly happened to you now? Since when weakness in right leg started and did it happen suddenly or slowly?

2. In toe numbness, do you feel tingling, pins, and needle sensations? Or you have less feeling of touch at toes? Had it also start along with weakness, or there was a time lag between weakness and numbness?

3. Do this numbness and weakness persistent or is it intermittent in the whole day?

4. Have you noticed any particular factor, which increases weakness and numbness (like walking or laying in the bed or forward bending or stressful situation or sleeplessness etc.)?

5. How is your usual mood in day-to-day activities?

6. How are your sleep and appetite?

7. Have you been gone through nerve conduction studies? If yes, please send that report too.

Revert me with above mentioned information for better understanding and further judgement.

1. The right leg was hurting a few weeks before, and it suddenly went weak.

2. Toes feel numb, and they were gradually numb always which happened once the right leg started to get weak.

3. Left toes get numbness intermittently. The left hand is weak, and I can only use the left pointer finger and left thumb. Right-hand fingers are going numb intermittently.

5. I am a happy person but I am worried about my body, and I try to ignore the symptoms. I get worried about this pain during sitting and while falling asleep.

6. I have insomnia since I have had fibromyalgia, but medical Marijuana helps me sleep at night.

7. I do not have an appetite for most of the days. My stomach hurts when I have food, and I am suffering from extreme nausea after eating, so I avoid food. I have lost 13 kgs and gained some back and lost it again. It started up, after my right leg issue before two years and I had a full gastroenterology check-up, and I was told that I had IBS.

8. I have not done any nerve test. I am not able to get to neurologist appointment yet.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

MBBS., MD MEDICINE., DM NEUROLOGY
Neurology

As per your description, I suggest you go through nerve conduction studies of all four limbs. Also, I suggest you meet a psychiatrist because depression and anxiety are associated with such symptoms of numbness over different body parts along with insomnia, fibromyalgia and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Also, I suggest you do some daily exercise (simple jogging) for 30 to 40 minutes, preferably in the morning time, which is helpful in fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, and sleep regulation.

Nerve conduction studies and serum vitamin B12 level.

Also Read Answers From: Weakness Numbness

I have numbness and tingling in arm after blood was drawn. Do I need EKG?
Query: Hi doctor, I had blood drawn five weeks ago and since then felt numbness and tingling in my right arm and right leg. Although numbness and tingling have gotten better, I still feel slight numbness in right pinky and third finger. I also feel burning/pinching in the crease of my arm where she drew b...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to a pinched nerve, possibly related to the venous puncture. I do not think that the numbness in the leg is related to the procedure. It could be just a little anxiety. Anyway, if the numbne...  Read Full »

I have weakness, headache and stomach upset after a cat scratched me. Should I be worried?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. This week, I bought two kittens and a dog. I took good care of them and cleaned them thrice a day. One of my kittens scratched me a bit, but I cleaned the scratch with soap and alcohol. It has been six days and the scratch is gone. But, I feel very weak late...  Read Full »
Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like you most probably do have a cat scratch disease. The symptoms usually appear a few days after the cat scratches or bites. The typical symptoms are fever, tiredness, and also a lymph node enlargement, although not all of them might appear in every patient....  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in my hands and feet?
Query: Hi doctor, I have numbness in my hands and feet for the past two years. It is worsening gradually. The last month, it has got significantly aggravated. The numbness starts with tingling. When I am trying to grab something, I am unable to grab it. I also suffer from worsening cognitive function as I...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have vitamin B12 deficiency. Your symptoms are related to peripheral neuropathy. It is caused due to vitamin B12 deficiency. It is necessary to perform some tests to know the possible cause. You have to investigate vitamin D levels and vitamin B12 plasma levels for ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now