Q. What are the treatment options for nystagmus?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2022

I am blind in my left eye, and I have nystagmus in my right eye. What are the options for nystagmus?

#

• There are multiple options available for nystagmus like medicine, surgery, etc. Nystagmus is usually bilateral, there are only few nystagmus that affects a single eye.
  • The treatment depends on the type of nystagmus. Kindly share a video of your eye movement, so that I may assess the type of nystagmus and guide you better.

Revert with more information to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I do not want surgery or any prism glasses. I do not see double. It is just a movement I cannot control. Can you suggest some medicines. I have attached a video of my eye movement.

#

• There is no medicine which can cure nystagmus for sure. Medicines are effective in some special types of nystagmus and in those types also, it does not cure them.
  • These medicines have their own side effects. I viewed the video (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and in your form of nystagmus, I am sorry, medicines have no role.
  • You may try contact lens to decrease the frequency of nystagmus but other than that there is no permanent cure.

I hope this will helps. Regards.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|