Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am taking Celexa and Xanax for OCD without any improvement. Should I change my treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Punya Mulky
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 36-year-old male who has suffered from OCD for the majority of my life. My psychiatrist has changed Celexa to 40 mg, and I am taking this dose for two months now. I have a feeling of mania, anxiety and I am unable to deal with it. I also feel impulsive, and sometimes I feel great, and I can accomplish a lot. I also have a feeling like I have been traveling in a roller coaster for a few months. It happened to me several times in my life. Do I need to seek another psychiatrist's opinion? I also take Xanax 0.5 mg whenever required.

Dr. Punya Mulky



Welcome to

Please mention about your OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) symptoms. Please say about the type of obsessions and compulsions you have. You can take tablet Prozac (Fluoxetine) 20 mg for a week and gradually increase it to 40 mg. Prozac helps for OCD as well as for impulsivity. Along with it, take tablet Olanzapine 10 mg. It helps for the current mood stability you are experiencing now. Also, consider going to therapy such as exposure and response prevention. It also helps for OCD.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

My OCD involves checking number patterns, fear of germs, and putting things away. If I break from my usual routine, my anxiety shoots out. Can I have bipolar?

Dr. Punya Mulky



Welcome back to

Depending on your symptoms, it seems that you suffer from both OCD and bipolar disorder. Olanzapine will help you for stabilizing your mood. Fluoxetine helps for both OCD and depression. But do not continue these medicines indefinitely and do consult a psychiatrist. Depending on your obsessions, exposure and response prevention, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy, will help you to find some relief.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?
How to overcome the habit of tongue thrusting?
I have been suffering from social anxiety.Is there any treatment to get rid of these problems?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Do people with OCD need to continue medicines throughout their life?

Query: Hello doctor, I need your help regarding OCD disease. It looks like my fiancee is having this problem and she has been suffering a lot since last month. I am seeing sudden changes in her behavior like getting sad, no feelings, and changes in the mood so frequently. She does not want to go outside a...  Read Full »

I get anxiety while making eye contact. Please help.

Query: Hey doctor, I have been shy for as long as I remember. Not sure when I started suffering from social anxiety, I guess it built up slowly. Probably started in the middle of my teenage years. I am 32 now. I have been able to get through pretty good during the years. However, something really nasty st...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.