Q. I am taking Celexa and Xanax for OCD without any improvement. Should I change my treatment?

Dr. Punya Mulky
Published on Nov 13, 2018

I am a 36-year-old male who has suffered from OCD for the majority of my life. My psychiatrist has changed Celexa to 40 mg, and I am taking this dose for two months now. I have a feeling of mania, anxiety and I am unable to deal with it. I also feel impulsive, and sometimes I feel great, and I can accomplish a lot. I also have a feeling like I have been traveling in a roller coaster for a few months. It happened to me several times in my life. Do I need to seek another psychiatrist's opinion? I also take Xanax 0.5 mg whenever required.

Dr. Punya Mulky

Psychiatry
#

Please mention about your OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) symptoms. Please say about the type of obsessions and compulsions you have. You can take tablet Prozac (Fluoxetine) 20 mg for a week and gradually increase it to 40 mg. Prozac helps for OCD as well as for impulsivity. Along with it, take tablet Olanzapine 10 mg. It helps for the current mood stability you are experiencing now. Also, consider going to therapy such as exposure and response prevention. It also helps for OCD.

My OCD involves checking number patterns, fear of germs, and putting things away. If I break from my usual routine, my anxiety shoots out. Can I have bipolar?

Dr. Punya Mulky

Psychiatry
#

Depending on your symptoms, it seems that you suffer from both OCD and bipolar disorder. Olanzapine will help you for stabilizing your mood. Fluoxetine helps for both OCD and depression. But do not continue these medicines indefinitely and do consult a psychiatrist. Depending on your obsessions, exposure and response prevention, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy, will help you to find some relief.

Do people with OCD need to continue medicines throughout their life?

Query: Hello doctor, I need your help regarding OCD disease. It looks like my fiancee is having this problem and she has been suffering a lot since last month. I am seeing sudden changes in her behavior like getting sad, no feelings, and changes in the mood so frequently. She does not want to go outside a...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) drugs from SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) group such as Fluoxetine 20 mg to start then up to 80 mg or more or Fluvoxamine and psychotherapy are helpful. These drugs are prescription only drugs. Also, you have to ...  Read Full

I get anxiety while making eye contact. Please help.

Query: Hey doctor, I have been shy for as long as I remember. Not sure when I started suffering from social anxiety, I guess it built up slowly. Probably started in the middle of my teenage years. I am 32 now. I have been able to get through pretty good during the years. However, something really nasty st...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gayatri Saraf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that it can be extremely distressing for someone to feel the way you have been feeling. You seem to have a social anxiety disorder that has worsened lately. Sometimes it is common for social anxiety to run its own course, where it waxes and wanes and wor...  Read Full