Q. With imaging, is it possible to find out the reason for condylar resorption?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

At age 17, I spontaneously developed an anterior open bite. I do not have a habit of tongue thrust. Although, I had been using a drugstore night guard when it developed. My orthodontist fixed it without doing any imaging. Looking back, I wonder if it had been caused by idiopathic condylar resorption or some other degeneration of the joint. If I get imaging done now, will they be able to confirm whether I previously had degeneration or resorption?

#

• The resorption of your condyle is idiopathic. That means the cause cannot be determined or defined.
  • With imaging investigations, now it is not possible to discern whether it was present or absent before, during or after treatment, unless you have x-rays or CT from before to compare with.
  • Regarding anterior open bite, your malocclusion could also be a cause or it could have happened due to night guard or any other systemic reason. That is due to any bodily changes, hormones or medication.
  • The open bite that you developed was most likely due to the night guard and it is not because of condylar degeneration.
  • It is quite a common occurrence with drugstore night guards. That is why it is always recommended to get a custom-made guard under orthodontic supervision.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

| 

How to maintain oral hygiene and save my remaining teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a concerned individual with a history of poor oral hygiene. It got significantly improved during these few years. I have a broken tooth in the back left bottom. My front tooth appears green, and they are deeply separated. Is there any way available to save my tooth?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthodontist Now