Q. With imaging, is it possible to find out the reason for condylar resorption?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

At age 17, I spontaneously developed an anterior open bite. I do not have a habit of tongue thrust. Although, I had been using a drugstore night guard when it developed. My orthodontist fixed it without doing any imaging. Looking back, I wonder if it had been caused by idiopathic condylar resorption or some other degeneration of the joint. If I get imaging done now, will they be able to confirm whether I previously had degeneration or resorption?

#

• The resorption of your condyle is idiopathic. That means the cause cannot be determined or defined.
  • With imaging investigations, now it is not possible to discern whether it was present or absent before, during or after treatment, unless you have x-rays or CT from before to compare with.
  • Regarding anterior open bite, your malocclusion could also be a cause or it could have happened due to night guard or any other systemic reason. That is due to any bodily changes, hormones or medication.
  • The open bite that you developed was most likely due to the night guard and it is not because of condylar degeneration.
  • It is quite a common occurrence with drugstore night guards. That is why it is always recommended to get a custom-made guard under orthodontic supervision.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|