Open Bite

How long does it take to correct an open bite with braces?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a quite wide open bite. I am 24 years old and want to get them fixed with braces. The open bite is so big that I can thrust a pencil in my mouth with my teeth closed. I have attached a photo for your reference. Will it require surgery or can it be fixed with braces? How long will i...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The open bite can be corrected effectively with braces treatment. Surgery would not be a choice for this type of bite correction. The braces treatment will take approximately one y...  Read Full »

I am wearing braces for open bite. What is the recommended elastic position for it?

Query: Hello doctor,At the moment, I have been wearing braces for roughly 2.5 years. I have an open bite on my left side that starts from the lateral incisor. I have been wearing my rubber bands as instructed. My appointment is until four weeks from now. Even though I should see my dentist for this, what i...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you told, you have wearing braces for 2.5 years and having a single open bite. As I can see in the attached picture, your elastics looking perfectly placed (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In orthodontic treatment, some cases took a too long time,...  Read Full »

My jaw has a bump, and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I need jaw surgery to fix my open bite?

Query: Hello doctor,Back of my jaw has a bump, and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I need jaw surgery to fix my open bite? Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Madeena Banu

Dentist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello doctor, The bump developed seems to be on your cheeks from the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, your lower second molars are erupting now, so the pain can be due to the eruption of that tooth. Even due to new tooth eruption, you may bite your cheek whil...  Read Full »

With imaging, is it possible to find out the reason for condylar resorption?

Query: Hi doctor, At age 17, I spontaneously developed an anterior open bite. I do not have a habit of tongue thrust. Although, I had been using a drugstore night guard when it developed. My orthodontist fixed it without doing any imaging. Looking back, I wonder if it had been caused by idiopathic condylar...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The resorption of your condyle is idiopathic. That means the cause cannot be determined or defined. With imaging investigations, now it is not possible to discern whether it was present or absent before, during or after treatment, unless you have x-rays or CT from before ...  Read Full »