Q. Does having a deep bite mean a decrease in the vertical dimension of the face?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
I am 23 years old male. I used to have normal dental bite,but, somehow i am having deep bite.( maybe, due to excessive grinding or weak gum) . I want some answers regarding deep bite.
1 ) Will deep bite affect my facial development? like lower and upper jaw development..
2) Is having deep bite means decrease in vertical dimension of face? If yes, How can i regain it??
3 )How can it be treated?
#

Hello , Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your Dentist -

I went through your query . Am very sorry for your inconvenience . As a Specialist am here to help you.

Sir ,Deep bite is a malocclution in which the upper front teeth excessively overlap the bottom front teeth . Deep bite may impact the facial integrity, damages the teeth leading to attrition and sensitivity. So to answer your queries - Kindly Upload an image of your facial profile (face ) to determine the effect of deep bite . Also another image ,keeping the jaw closed and lips wide open , to understand the extend of deep bite . Upload these images as soon as possibls.

1) Since you are already 23 years of age no further jaw development takes place. But If you want me to judge the current situation I need image that I have mentioned ,kindly Upload. I cant comment specificly without seeing .

2) Yes absolutely . The vertical height of face reduces . By your Image the amount of reduction will be identified . I need an image for that reason . I would walk you through the magament. Generally Orthodontic treatment is applicable. But specifics from your image will help be determine whether you need a bite plate or not ,Need traditional braces or invisalign will be fine all these info will be answered by looking at the image . Kindly Upload as soon as possible.

3)Sir there are treatment modalities by orthodontic treatment . But I can help only when I see the image. How complicate will it be or not what time would it take to cure all these informations depends upon nature of tooth arrangement.

- Use HiOra k mouthwash. - Vantej tooth paste if sensitive tooth.

So I can only request you to upload an image if your Face and another of your teeth upon opening and closing keeping the lips wide open. This information will be needed to answer your queries specifics .I hope it helped. I will be waiting for the image kindly donot delay.

Let me know if any further query am here to help. Have a Good Day. Thanks Alot.

| 

Why am I having pain in a tooth with crown?

Query: Hello doctor, My back upper left molar had a cavity deep enough to warrant a crown last month. Since then, I have been back to the dentist twice to get adjustments on the crown, under the suspicion that its slight misfit with my bite was causing the dull-to-sharp pain I experience when I use that m...  Read Full »

Does crooked teeth and broken decayed tooth make extraction necessary for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have crooked teeth at front and tooth behind the crooked teeth was decayed and half broke in sideways. It was touching the crooked teeth in backward and my teeth in under jaws are somewhat misaligned. Do I need a tooth extraction for braces?  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthodontist Now