Q. Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.

#

Balanitis can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your condition and give you appropriate medications.

Do you have itching, burning, pain, blister or oozing? Since how many days do you have this? Are you sexually active? Is there any history of unprotected sexual contact? If so, inquire your partner for white discharge. Are you on any medications for other systemic diseases like oral systemic steroid for asthma? Have you done blood test for diabetes?

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am not sexually active.

#

I saw the picture, though it is not very much clear, I can see inflammation of glans and foreskin (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am listing the possibilities:

1. Candidal balanoposthitis.
  2. Herpes genitalis.
  3. Irritant contact dermatitis.
  4. Genital lichen planus.

Please answer all the questions.

I am having this problem since last week. Symptoms are only itching, no oozing or discharge and there were no blisters at the starting, just redness and itching were there. I have been applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill.

#

It looks more like a candidal balanoposthitis, with erosions on the glans. Fungal balanoposthitis responds to topical Clotrimazole antifungal cream, two times application after cleaning the area with mild soap like Dove, and oral Itraconazole 200 mg capsules, two times a day (morning and night) in the same day after food.

Do you have any allergies to oral medication?

|