Q. Which drug works better for throat infection,Augmentin or Azithromycin?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2019

Which drug works better for throat infection, Augmentin or Azithromycin?

#

We usually do not care about throat infection when it is mild and then it gets worsened and causes undue discomfort. Regarding choice of appropriate antibiotic, it is very important to know your history. It includes previous use of recent antibiotic, presence of fever, purulence of sptum, systemic symptoms etc.

So. if it is just mild sore throat with mild fever and no excessive cough or other body symptoms, tablet Azithromycin will do good. But for severe infection, systemic symptoms, high grade fever and difficulty in swallowing, we need to give something which is broad spectrum like tablet Augmentin 625mg thrice daily for 7 days. So, it is the clinical judgement to select appropriate antibiotic according to the presenting clinical symptoms.

Get back to a general practitioner online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I have throat pain. What do I do?

Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full »

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now