Q. Can I have braces again to bring my impacted canine tooth down?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I had braces earlier and the orthodontist said that my tooth is ankylosed. He explained that my canine tooth will not come down. I even had the surgery to bring the canine down by attaching it to a hook and a chain, but nothing happened. Hence, I just want to know whether I can get the braces again to try to bring my canine tooth down?

#

Hope you are doing well.

Yes, you can surely get your canine in place. The tooth in this condition is known as an impacted tooth.

The impaction occurs due to the following reasons:

1. Any obstruction or barrier preventing the tooth to come down.
  2. Lack of space for the tooth to enter the mouth.

If either of the conditions exists, the tooth becomes impacted. However, there is a solution to this problem. It can be treated by:

1. removing the barrier, if present.
  2. creating sufficient space for the canine to come down.

The clinical examination, as well as a radiographic investigation through OPG (orthopantomogram), are required to know the position of the canine, and to check for any barriers, if present. The oral cavity examination will help in treatment planning, aligning the rest of the teeth, and creating sufficient space for the canine in the mouth.

You can get braces again to bring your canine in place. Your orthodontist will help you in evaluating and getting the tooth disimpacted.

If you already have a fresh OPG (orthopantomogram), do share it in the follow-up query and I will let you know the condition and the further required steps. It would be helpful if you can share your frontal teeth photo and a smiling photo for evaluation of the space.

Do reach out for further queries.

|