Q. Is it possible to correct my farly placed lower jaw through braces?

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 29, 2019

I am 18 years old with 82 kg weight, 175 cm height. I have a lower jaw that is too far back, is it possible for this to be corrected via braces over time? I have a feeling it might be a little bit too far back. However, I was wondering if it is an extreme case or more minor.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist
#

In your case, it looks like class III malocclusion with receded chin (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Problems in your case,

1. Class III malocclusion as known from your description, clinically molar relation to be seen.

2. Receded chin.

3. Mouth breathing as described.

Possible treatment,

1. Class III malocclusion to be corrected for ideal overjet and ideal overbite along with midline matching and class I molar relation.

2. Receded chin to be corrected using a genioplasty surgical procedure.

3. Mouth breathing causes to be examined.

Thank you doctor, Can I correct without surgical procedure? I would prefer not to if I can.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist
#

Genioplasty is the regular procedure for the receded chin. In your case, it is suggested to bring back orthognathic and straight facial profile and to improve your appearance and look. Other things-class III and mouth breathing correction to be finalized clinically seeing intraorally or intraoral pictures-things to be corrected as already mentioned.

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

How to maintain oral hygiene and save my remaining teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a concerned individual with a history of poor oral hygiene. It got significantly improved during these few years. I have a broken tooth in the back left bottom. My front tooth appears green, and they are deeply separated. Is there any way available to save my tooth?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now