Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is it possible to correct my farly placed lower jaw through braces?

Answered by
Dr. Bhargav R Gutha
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am 18 years old with 82 kg weight, 175 cm height. I have a lower jaw that is too far back, is it possible for this to be corrected via braces over time? I have a feeling it might be a little bit too far back. However, I was wondering if it is an extreme case or more minor.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist


Welcome to

In your case, it looks like class III malocclusion with receded chin (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Problems in your case,

1. Class III malocclusion as known from your description, clinically molar relation to be seen.

2. Receded chin.

3. Mouth breathing as described.

Possible treatment,

1. Class III malocclusion to be corrected for ideal overjet and ideal overbite along with midline matching and class I molar relation.

2. Receded chin to be corrected using a genioplasty surgical procedure.

3. Mouth breathing causes to be examined.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor, Can I correct without surgical procedure? I would prefer not to if I can.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist


Welcome to

Genioplasty is the regular procedure for the receded chin. In your case, it is suggested to bring back orthognathic and straight facial profile and to improve your appearance and look. Other things-class III and mouth breathing correction to be finalized clinically seeing intraorally or intraoral pictures-things to be corrected as already mentioned.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is it mandatory to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment?
Is my dentist right in saying that my jaw pain and stiffness are incurable?
What can be the reason for my jaw pain?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

How to maintain oral hygiene and save my remaining teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a concerned individual with a history of poor oral hygiene. It got significantly improved during these few years. I have a broken tooth in the back left bottom. My front tooth appears green, and they are deeply separated. Is there any way available to save my tooth?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.