Q. Is it safe to do strength training for osteoporosis?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Is it safe to do strength training for osteoporosis? Does strength training improve the bone mineral density? What type of exercise or movement are good for osteoporosis? Which one has to be avoided, and why? What are the signs and symptoms seen in osteoporosis? When it has to be diagnosed in everyone?

#

Strength training is not safe, and it is highly recommended in osteoporosis. It helps to increase the bone mineral density. Do workouts that keep the spine straight such as squatting. Try to strengthen your back muscles. Have workouts on your hip and spine. Do cardio exercise along with these workouts. Have a regular walking. You have to avoid activity that involves the bending of the spine. Avoid doing the heavy lifting.

Osteoporosis has to be screened in persons who reach menopause, persons having a history of fracture frequently after 40 years of age and persons with family history. Individuals having back pain, pain in the knee joint, and having fractures frequently has to be screened for osteoporosis. It has to be tested for men above 60 years of age and women above 45 years of age.

|