Q. Is it safe to do strength training for osteoporosis?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Oct 21, 2018

Is it safe to do strength training for osteoporosis? Does strength training improve the bone mineral density? What type of exercise or movement are good for osteoporosis? Which one has to be avoided, and why? What are the signs and symptoms seen in osteoporosis? When it has to be diagnosed in everyone?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Strength training is not safe, and it is highly recommended in osteoporosis. It helps to increase the bone mineral density. Do workouts that keep the spine straight such as squatting. Try to strengthen your back muscles. Have workouts on your hip and spine. Do cardio exercise along with these workouts. Have a regular walking. You have to avoid activity that involves the bending of the spine. Avoid doing the heavy lifting.

Osteoporosis has to be screened in persons who reach menopause, persons having a history of fracture frequently after 40 years of age and persons with family history. Individuals having back pain, pain in the knee joint, and having fractures frequently has to be screened for osteoporosis. It has to be tested for men above 60 years of age and women above 45 years of age.

For osteoporosis, is calcium supplement sufficient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female diagnosed with osteoporosis. Is Teriparatide treatment recommended? Or vitamin D supplements and Calcium tablets sufficient?  Read Full »

Can corticosteroids cause osteoporosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old male. I had been diagnosed with autoimmune polymyositis four years ago. I was previously a sportsman for most of my life with a reasonably healthy diet. I have been on Prednisolone and Azathioprine for four years, on Methotrexate for four years and Folic acid. I ju...  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article