Q. Why am I having serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath?

Dr. Sunil Sekhri
Published on Jul 04, 2019

I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have difficulty in sleeping as my mouth shuts automatically and have to wake up instantly due to shortness of breath.

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If on clinical check up a bacterial infection is suspected I add Amoxycillin 500 mg BD for five days. You can share my opinion with your doctor and take medications with consent. To diagnose a condition of sleep paralysis I would advise you to get sleep studies done first.

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ritesh Kumar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history, at times, though not very common, steam/air inhalation can cause inflammation of the airway leading to respiratory symptoms and even pulmonary edema. So, keep an eye on the following symptoms : If you develop hoarseness of voice, wheezing, strido...  Read Full

I get scared while sleeping and bite my tongue. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor,I have depression and anxiety and anger Issues. So, I used to get sleep paralysis a year ago but then it stopped happening itself. I never had panic attacks even with this severe depression. But a week ago I had my first panic attack and then I started having pain in my collar bone, left a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gayatri Saraf

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to have anxiety attacks along with a sleep disorder. The anxiety can be treated with medications from a psychiatrist. For the sleep issues, there are tests such as sleep studies available which can help diagnose what exactly it is. Usually tongue bite in sleep is u...  Read Full

How to get treated for sleep paralysis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am a working woman. I am facing sleep paralysis frequently from the last two months. Sometimes, it happens on consecutive days. I have faced this earlier also, but then it was very rare once in six months or once in a year. It always happens in the morning t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sleep paralysis is not a disease. It is the transition that happens during various stages of sleep. Usually, if you do not have any other symptoms apart from this, then you do not require any imaging. In case, you experience any other symptoms, then you have to be inves...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now