Q. Is surgery the only option for my son's ear infection?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

My son has an ear infection since last year. The doctors said there is water in the middle ear, and because of that, he is not able to listen to low pitch voices, like if someone speaks slowly with him. I have reports and all medicines that he has used so far, and I am attaching it with the query. Please, let me know if you can help me in this regard. The doctors recommended surgery, but I am confused because there are many risks after surgery.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Does the child have ear discharge?
  2. Is the infection in one or both ears?
  3. Is there any history of frequent nasal or throat infection?

Follow-up with the required information, so that I can suggest you better.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

No, he has no ear discharge from any of the ears. Last year, he got an allergy and flu, which lasted for about two weeks. After this, he started having the hearing difficulty. He used to get allergy and flu on and off, but this is the first time that he has an ear problem.

#

• I suggest giving him a combination of Levocetirizine and Phenylephrine twice daily, along with Otrivin (Xylometazoline) nasal drops for few days. Also, give him steam inhalation.
  • Get an x-ray of the paranasal sinuses done and send me the reports. Give him the medicines after consulting his doctor, and he will be fine. Follow-up with the report.

He is currently taking Sedil (Cetirizine dihydrochloride), syrup Azitma (Azithromycin), and Betnesol (Betamethasone) drops for the nose. Should we stop using these medicines?

#

• Yes, stop all these medicines. How many days have you taken Azithromycin?

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|