Q. I am having pain due to ruptured ovarian cyst. Does it need an emergency surgery?

Published on Dec 06, 2019

I was seen over the weekend at the ER. They did a CT scan and saw an ovarian cyst that they believed wrapped around the ovary and ruptured. They also saw liquid in the uterus. I have only one ovary as this has happened before years ago. They thought it was an emergency and were prepared to do emergency surgery, but they did an ultrasound both normal and pelvic to be sure. I ended up not needing emergency surgery and was sent home. I called the next day to try to visit a gynecologist for this as I am in all sorts of pain. Since I am not an established patient, they are waiting for a cancellation to get me in, as they are currently booked till two more months. UntiI this I cannot wait. I am in so much pain it is unreal. Medically speaking is this an emergency? Should I go back to the ER? I am currently taking Norco, Tramadol, and prescribed anti-nauseous medicine.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The fact that there is a large ovarian cyst which has invariably made the ovary bulky and the presence of acute onset of pain in the lower abdomen which if waxing and waning type may indicate a possible torsion of the ovary which is common in the presence of large cysts and is definitely an emergency. It would be better to rule it out with a doppler study first in which tortious blood flow may be evident.

It is always better to consider ovarian torsion and deal with it first as the rest of the concerns can be managed symptomatically but not torsion which can cause acute loss of blood supply to the only ovary now and can cause damage and gangrene later. So it would be best if you would report to the ER asap.

Torsion ovary, acute PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), acute cyst rupture.

Doppler USG (ultrasound) urgent or laparoscopy.

Acute PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), Torsion ovary.

Ovarian torsion.

| 

How can I control recurrence of chocolate cyst using ayurvedic medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have undergone cystectomy in my left ovary to remove a chocolate cyst of 9 cm. It was done before two years. After that, I got conceived, and my baby boy is five months old now. I got my first period after three months of delivery, and I experienced mild pain in my left lower abdomen. ...  Read Full »

Is factor V Leiden mutation related to any health issues?

Query: Hello doctor, These are my daughter's bloodwork results that were done nine months back. I was never told about any of these results until I recently asked for copies of her medical record. This year she had irregular and heavy menstrual bleeding and developed a large hemorrhagic ovarian cyst with ...  Read Full »

I have been getting period cramps but have not got periods. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My period is delayed and I am sexually active. I have not had unprotected sex. The problem is 2 years back I was diagnosed with fibroadenoma . No biopsy was done but doctor told it was probably that. Now when my period got delayed, I started having period cramp ...  Read Full »