Q. Will overweight be a reason for my headache?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Aug 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am a 27-year-old obese woman with venous pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear. I have no history of high blood pressure or diabetes. I have been overweight for about five years and was a normal weight before. I am being treated for OCD, ADD, and depression. I take 150 mg Sertraline, 20 mg Amphetamine salts, and 50 mg Trazodone. I am also on Loestrin 24 Fe birth control.

I have been having some headaches (two times per week, mild pain) that occasionally improve with caffeine but no other symptoms. Would losing weight be the best first step to take before visiting a neurologist?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this feeling could be related to an inner ear disorder. Your blood lab tests show increased white blood cell count suggestive of an infection. Anemia is also present. That is why I recommend taking iron supplements. A brain MRI is also necessary to exclude possible vascular malformation of the brain. It is also essential for checking thyroid hormone levels. I hope you will find this answer helpful.

| 

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

Are hair fall, skin infections, and overweight due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism. With that, I am facing hair fall, skin infections, overweight, high cholesterol, and memory loss. Are all these happening because of thyroid or there are other factors involved? I am a firm believer in Ayurveda but can this be treated with Ayurveda permanently? ...  Read Full »

Tension Headache, A Variant Of Migraine

Article Overview: Tension headache, otherwise called muscle contraction headache, is a type of headache that results in pain in the temporal region and radiates to the forehead and back of the neck. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Shubham Mehta

A tension headache is a dull, persistent pain that occurs in the temporal region (part of head just above the ears) in a band like distribution and may radiate forward to the frontal (forehead) region or backward to the occipital (part of head just above the neck) region. It is also referred to as a...  Read Article