Q. Will overweight be a reason for my headache?

Dr. Aida Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am a 27-year-old obese woman with venous pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear. I have no history of high blood pressure or diabetes. I have been overweight for about five years and was a normal weight before. I am being treated for OCD, ADD, and depression. I take 150 mg Sertraline, 20 mg Amphetamine salts, and 50 mg Trazodone. I am also on Loestrin 24 Fe birth control.

I have been having some headaches (two times per week, mild pain) that occasionally improve with caffeine but no other symptoms. Would losing weight be the best first step to take before visiting a neurologist?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this feeling could be related to an inner ear disorder. Your blood lab tests show increased white blood cell count suggestive of an infection. Anemia is also present. That is why I recommend taking iron supplements. A brain MRI is also necessary to exclude possible vascular malformation of the brain. It is also essential for checking thyroid hormone levels. I hope you will find this answer helpful.

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way. What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching? Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty ...  Read Full

Are hair fall, skin infections, and overweight due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism. With that, I am facing hair fall, skin infections, overweight, high cholesterol, and memory loss. Are all these happening because of thyroid or there are other factors involved? I am a firm believer in Ayurveda but can this be treated with Ayurveda permanently? ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypothyroidism may cause these symptoms as you have described. But it is other possibilities too. Hair fall may be due to infection, excessive use of different kinds of shampoo and conditioner, changes in food habits and water, stress, etc. Stress and anxiety may lead t...  Read Full

Tension Headache, A Variant Of Migraine

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and types of tension headache and its treatment. Read Article

Dr. Shubham Mehta

A tension headache is a dull, persistent pain that occurs in the temporal region (part of head just above the ears) in a band like distribution and may radiate forward to the frontal (forehead) region or backward to the occipital (part of head just above the neck) region. It is also referred to as a...  Read Article