Q. I had severe pain when I tried to have sex after a gap of six months. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

Hi doctor,

Myself and my husband did not have sex for more than six months. Before few days, we tried to have sex. My vagina got hurt. He did not ejaculate inside. On the next day, I started to have a brown discharge and small tiny blood clots ranging from red to brown came out from my vagina with light stomach cramps. Is this a sign of internal injury? He did not penetrate properly. I was taking antibiotics for ten days due to pharyngitis.



Welcome to

You are suffering from a dry vagina. It occurs due to some reasons. Please mention whether you had pain in your vagina in your previous cycles. Please mention in detail about your periods. Please mention the amount of bleeding present in your periods. Please mention whether you are breastfeeding. Please mention whether you have a done a PAP smear. Sometimes, dryness can also occur due to allergy and anti-allergic medications taken for pharyngitis. It is necessary to involve in foreplay before having actual penetration. It helps to stimulate your genital glands to provide proper lubrication for penetration.

Usually, vaginal walls stay lubricated with a thin layer of clear fluid. Estrogen helps to maintain the fluid and it keeps the lining of the vagina healthy, thick, and elastic. Drop-in estrogen levels reduce the amount of moisture. It can occur at any age due to different causes. You seem to have a minor irritation. Lack of vaginal moisture causes a huge impact on your sexual life. Several treatments help to relieve vaginal dryness. You can use KY jelly in and around the vagina before doing intercourse.

You seem to have an unlikely cause of internal injury. If the pain is severe, get an examination done by consulting a gynecologist. Take tablet Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) to reduce the pain and use a hot water bag around the lower abdomen during periods to avoid cramps. KY jelly helps to reduce the discomfort present during intercourse. Sometimes, premenstrual syndrome manifests as severe cramps. As you do not plan for pregnancy now, you can consider taking contraceptive pills. It helps to reduce excessive cramps and makes your bleeding moderate.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness ... I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness ... Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of...   Read full

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

Hello doctor, I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness ...   Read full

Could vaginal brown discharge be a sign of cervical cancer?

For some 2 to 25 years, I am getting an occasional brown vaginal discharge, when I masturbate ... The dark brown vaginal discharge tha...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?
Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything ...  Read more»
My lipid test report shows quite high values. Kindly advice.
Hello doctor, I am 35-years-old. My cholesterol level is 222, triglycerides 87, HDL (cholesterol) 60, LDL (cholesterol)...  Read more»
Triglycerides - Causes, Medications, Symptoms, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Triglycerides are derivatives of glycerol and fatty acids. They might sound simple but the causes and symptoms contribut...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.