Q. I had cyst in right breast. Could this be the cause for pain and discharge?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

For the past two months I have had ongoing right breast pain. It first began as sharp stabbing pain that would last only a few seconds. Now I am getting some nipple discharge and burning sensation. When I spoke with my doctor about it, she said it might happen sometimes. I had some blood work done for my hormones which confirmed my testosterone was high. I have attached my hormone test report for your reference. I am taking now Estradiol 2 mg, Progesterone 80 mg and Testosterone 2 mg applying 1 cc to inner thigh daily. My previous history includes complex ovarian cyst, hypertrophy of uterus, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia and hair loss. Should I get further testing from another doctor? Last year it was confirmed on ultrasound that I have two cysts in my right breast? Could this be the cause for my issues? Sometimes, applying a heat pad to my right breast helps. At times it will swell up so large and I feel like it is going to burst. This is concerning me. Please help.

#

• Breast pain, nipple discharge and cysts could be due to hyperprolactinemia. I do not see a prolactin level in your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Do you have a family history of breast cancer? Do these cysts develop even when you are off the hormones?
  • Did the breast discharge start after you took the hormones?
  • I would suggest being seen by an endocrinologist for hyperprolactinemia, this test should be done off hormones since they can alter the result.
  • You may also get benefit from draining the breast cyst if you still have them and send it for further testing. This is typically done by intervention radiologist ultrasound guided or by a breast surgeon.

Check prolactin level and repeat ultrasound of the breast (if last one was more than six months ago).

1. Hyperprolactinemia.
2. Fibrocystic breast disease.

Try Vitamin E and also continue other medications.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|