Q. Why am I having pain from my breast to the armpit?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

I am a 30 year old female, who weighs 130 lbs and 5.3 feet tall. For about 12 days, I have had consistent pain in the outer side of my breast up through my armpit. I have a tingling and slightly numb feeling in my left arm. I did not injure it, as far as I am aware. It started suddenly one morning. There is also a heaviness feeling in that whole area. When I look at the area, there is no physical change that I notice. I do not have lumps in breast or armpit that I could find.

#

I need to know few more details about your problem:

1. Was there fever before starting of pain?
  2. Any local redness or raised temperature above the area of pain?
  3. Any history of lifting heavy weight or doing excessive gym workout before starting of pain?
  4. In these 12 days, is there any improvement or is the pain same?
  5. Is pain intermittent or continuous?
  6. How can you grade your pain on a scale of 0 to 10?

Kindly get back with following answers, so that I can help you better.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. There has been no redness or raised temperature. I do not really do any heavy lifting. I have a 2 year old son, and I carry him at times, but I never noticed that hurt or anything. It has not gotten better or worse, and the pain and tingling are constant. I would say the pain in breast and armpit is about a 6, but the tingling and slight numbness in the arm do not hurt, just uncomfortable. Thank you.

#

From the details that you said, the differential diagnosis would be:

1. Musculoskeletal pain.
  2. Local breast pathology.
  • Kindly consult a local physician for breast examination. We may need to perform an ultrasound of left breast, an EKG, and basic blood workup to look for the probable reason. I suggest applying topical analgesic gel or oral Acetaminophen and check for the response.
  1. The tingling sensation that you feel is all over the left arm or only near the breast and armpit area?
  2. Any history of neck pain?
  3. Is the pain radiating from neck to left arm?
  4. Any history of slippage of objects from left hand involuntarily?

Kindly review with further details, so that I can help you better.

|