Q. InterTan nail got displaced from hip side and causing pain. Please help.

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Jun 22, 2018

My mother, aged 67, got her hip bone joint fractured. She got operated and InterTan nail got implanted. But nail part got displaced from the hip side and now touching hip bone causing pain. She is weak, having low bone density and suffering from other diseases as well (rheumatoid arthritis, glaucoma, hypothyroidism, hypertension, and asthma). What should be next course of action? Does new bone formation will occur in case if plaster will be done or does she needs joint replacement? Will plaster worsen her situation? How safe will joint replacement at her age and what will be implications in future? Which one will be beneficial for her considering her overall health status? Please suggest best way forward.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

She requires implant removal and joint replacement. This is a relatively safe procedure. Plaster cannot be applied over this.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

The hip joint replacement has been performed by the doctor here but we could see a fracture in X-ray report. We are clueless now what to be done next? Does she require bed rest now and to wait for the fracture to heal? Is that she can start with minor load bearing physiotherapy? Please advice the best possible next action for her. How to proceed with her treatment now? I am attaching her latest X-rays.

Dr. Lokesh

#

Surgery of hip replacement was fine. So, do not worry about the fracture. Mobilization will depend upon the surgeons choice. It varies with different surgeons. So, I would advise you to do weight bearing as the surgeon advices as he knows best clinically the state of the fracture as he has seen it. X-rays do not always give the exact picture. If it was me, I would advise her partial weight bearing mobilization with a walker.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you a lot for answering my queries.

Few more things I would like to understand here. Is there any possibility for the fracture to heal if we go for bed rest for a month or if we start with partial load bearing? Is that we should wait for a month and let bone to adjust with current implant and strengthening of bone by calcium-rich diet so that further complications can be avoided? What will happen to fracture if it will not heal, will that remain like that forever? Will it create any discomfort or pain to my mother in long run or any future complications at any level (nerves damage) due to this fracture?

Dr. Lokesh

#

1. Fracture healing does not matter much as the implant is giving stability as it is well fixed. So, partial weight bearing is fine.
  2. Calcium and Vitamin D should anyways be taken.
  3. As I said even if the fracture does not heal, the patient will walk normally.
  4. No complications of nerves or blood vessels by fracture.

Are the leg and hip pain occurred due to fall or Ciprofloxacin taken for UTI?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a UTI that developed into a kidney infection. I also fell down a couple of stairs during this time. I went to the ER hospital (because my doctor is far away and kept being closed) and they prescribed Cipro. I was taking it and my body was soar from fever and falling (possibly). No...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your post. You have mentioned that you had UTI for which you are talking Ciprofloxacin and also had shooting pain. Let me explain what could be the reason. The musculoskeletal symptom of Ciprofloxacin is tendinitis that means inflammation and pain at...  Read Full

I am having hip pain due to playing squash. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I used to have a long-term groin injury from playing badminton which caused jarring pain which ended up me having to stop for a while. I have not played badminton for four years so the groin injury subsided by whenever my groin is stretched it is always tender and has a lot less range o...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have understood your concern about groin pain. See you need to give sufficiently enough time for healing of adductor muscles tendons, which is getting worsened by repeatedly stretching. No doubt that you need more range of motion, but the first choice is to promote...  Read Full

Manual or Manipulative Therapy for Orthopedic Problems - An Alternative Treatment

Article Overview: Manual therapy or manipulative therapy is a hands-on therapy for many major as well as minor disorders for the bone and muscles, and stiff joints. Read Article

Dr. Shwetanjali Gandhe
Physiotherapist

Manipulative therapy is a widely used treatment procedure implemented by physiotherapists and occupational therapists. The treatment protocol uses specific methods aimed to relieve pain and discomfort and at the same time not cause any untoward harm to the patient physically by using the doctor's ha...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now