Q. I get heart palpitations that I can feel all day and night in my chest and head. What is the cause?

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

Female, 25yo, 163cm, 58kg. Shift worker- nurse/midwife.

Three months back, I went to GP with thumping chest that i could feel in my head and hear in my ears, headaches, tiredness. Halter monitor normal, ECG normal. Brain MRI normal. Bloods normal except low iron (13). Started on Maltofer. Symptoms went away & was feeling back to normal.

Two months back, my symptoms returned. Bloods redone. Iron remains low (19). Had iron infusion, stool spec done, and further bloods. Bloods all normal. 1 of 3 FOBT samples was positive for blood. Drs want to arrange for colonoscopy although suspect to be normal. Told symptoms should clear up when effects of iron kick in.

This month, ongoing heart palipitations that i can feel all day/night in chest & head. I can hear heartbeat in my ears too. Signoficantly impacting my sleep as all symptoms really notocable when im laying quietly in bed. Dr unsure why symptoms ongoing. prescribed me Mirtazipine to help me sleep. Although i have not taken any yet. Sleep isnt my problem- its the thumping chest/head! Just after a second opinion?

#

Thanks for your query. Very interesting case reports. I think you had iron deficiency anaemia. I strongly suspect you have haemotological issue. Please do holter testing again, especially when you have palpitations. Do you do any exercises or brisk walk, does the palpitations appear? If not, nothing to worry, do meditation and pranayama. Keep a diary and record when you get palpitations, what you do to reduce it? Do you get sleep? Monitor haemoglobin levels every 3 months. Please have iron rich foods. Keep us posted. Thanks

|