Q. I get heart palpitations that I can feel all day and night in my chest and head. What is the cause?

Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

Female, 25yo, 163cm, 58kg. Shift worker- nurse/midwife.

Three months back, I went to GP with thumping chest that i could feel in my head and hear in my ears, headaches, tiredness. Halter monitor normal, ECG normal. Brain MRI normal. Bloods normal except low iron (13). Started on Maltofer. Symptoms went away & was feeling back to normal.

Two months back, my symptoms returned. Bloods redone. Iron remains low (19). Had iron infusion, stool spec done, and further bloods. Bloods all normal. 1 of 3 FOBT samples was positive for blood. Drs want to arrange for colonoscopy although suspect to be normal. Told symptoms should clear up when effects of iron kick in.

This month, ongoing heart palipitations that i can feel all day/night in chest & head. I can hear heartbeat in my ears too. Signoficantly impacting my sleep as all symptoms really notocable when im laying quietly in bed. Dr unsure why symptoms ongoing. prescribed me Mirtazipine to help me sleep. Although i have not taken any yet. Sleep isnt my problem- its the thumping chest/head! Just after a second opinion?

#

Thanks for your query. Very interesting case reports. I think you had iron deficiency anaemia. I strongly suspect you have haemotological issue. Please do holter testing again, especially when you have palpitations. Do you do any exercises or brisk walk, does the palpitations appear? If not, nothing to worry, do meditation and pranayama. Keep a diary and record when you get palpitations, what you do to reduce it? Do you get sleep? Monitor haemoglobin levels every 3 months. Please have iron rich foods. Keep us posted. Thanks

| 

I suffer from insomnia. What can be done to get a good sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from insomnia that had increased in the last year. I used a lot of medications that were prescribed to me by my local physicians such as (Diazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, and Mirtazapine). Initially, it is useful at the beginning and then insomnia returned. I also follow a beha...  Read Full »

What number of APCs are normal for a 24 year old female?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a 24-hour heart monitor on for tracing palpitations. Results showed nothing but 700 pacs. No runs. I am a 24 year old female and this number worries me. What is the amount of pacs a person my age would usually have? And how many pacs is too many? I fear of it leading to afib.  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now