Q. I get heart palpitations that I can feel all day and night in my chest and head. What is the cause?

Answered by
Dr. Kiran Kumar Kolla Gopalkrishna
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 08, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 25-year-old female with a weight of 58 kilograms and a height of five feet. Before three months, I went to the doctor with a thumping chest. I had a similar feeling in my head and ears with headache and tiredness. The Holter monitor result was normal. ECG and brain MRI were normal. All the blood result was normal except iron with a value of 13 g/dL. I started taking Maltofer. My symptoms went away and I was feeling normal. Before two months, all my symptoms returned back. I did the blood tests again.

My iron level remained low with a value of 19 g/dL. After that, an iron infusion was done. Stool examination and blood test were done. All the results came back normal. FOBT test was positive. The doctor advised me to have a colonoscopy though I seem to be normal. They told me that these symptoms will get cleared when the iron level becomes normal.

Now I am having heart palpitations and I can feel it during the day and night in my chest and head. I can hear my heartbeat in my ears too. It disturbs my sleep and all my symptoms are really noticeable when I am lying quietly in my bed. The doctor prescribed me Mirtazipine to have good sleep. I have not taken it. I need a second opinion.



Welcome to

I think that you have iron-deficiency anemia. I strongly suspect that you have it. Do Holter monitoring test again while having palpitations. Please mention whether you get palpitations while doing exercise or having brisk walking. If you do not have it, then there is nothing to be worried. Do meditation and pranayama. Keep a diary and record your palpitations when you get them. Please mention the measures taken by you to reduce it. Please mention whether you have proper sleep. Monitor hemoglobin levels every three months. Have iron-rich foods.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

.. gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All the tests are fine. The cardiologist said your heart is normal. So, you do not have to worry. Tablet Metoprolol has been given for symptomatic relief for your palpit...   Read full

I felt lightheaded and like my heart stopped. What should I do?

.. you are a little worried about your heart and have been on the Holter monitor for a while. I appreciate that you have uploaded the reports in full for my consideration (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  From the fact that you are ...   Read full

Persistent problems related to GERD and gastritis with sleep disturbances. Please help.

I am 25 years old female. I am experiencing severe menstrual cramps in between my period cycle since 15 days. This is the first time i am experiencing this kind of thing. This never happened but i generally get cramping 4-5 days before my period. I h...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.