Q. Why am I getting palpitations frequently?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I frequently get palpitations, usually a few times a day. I had a 24-hour ECG a couple of years ago. My general practitioner said it just showed some ectopics. However, I do get runs of palpitations lasting several seconds which make me feel light-headed. I can usually stop the run by coughing hard. Is this anything to worry about? My main concern is that I might pass out or that I might develop a fatal arrhythmia.

#

Yes, I would say palpitations with light-headedness likely indicates some serious kind of arrhythmia. You are lucky that in 30 years, you did not pass out but there is a risk that this kind of arrhythmia can be fatal. I would suggest visiting cardiologist. Repeat EKG and echocardiogram, you might need a Holter monitoring for 24 hours and ultimately might need medication or pacemaker depending on severity and type of arrhythmias. I am suspecting it to be SVT or VT runs.

|